Repair install of XP SP3 assistance

Thread: Repair install of XP SP3 assistance

MB ASUS A7V600-X
    AMD 2600+ CPU
    2MB RAM
    160 GB SATAII HD
    SATA DVD/RW (installed IDE Drive for repair install as XP cannot see the SATA Drive)
    Sapphire AGP Graphics
    BIOS Sees the SATA HD, XP doesn't.

I am trying to carry out a repair install of Windows XP SP3, as the original XP OS kept rebooting itself.
    I have created a slipstreamed CD, using the orig Windows XP CD, downloaded Windows SP & Slipstreamed using nlite.

During the install, after eventually managing to get XP to see the SATA drive, the install suddenly requests visibility of the 'ASMS' directory at 'GLOBALROOT\DEVICE\CDROM0\I386'. I have checked the slipstreamed CD & the directory 'ASMS' is definitely there. I have also created further slipstreamed CD's, and keep coming back to the same point. The repair install won't go any further. If I boot Windows normally, it goes back into set-up mode.

Is there any way I can surpass this issue, or reset XP to a point where the repair instill never took place. Perhaps, the initial slipstreamed CD was in error, and still sees this error all though other slipstreamed cd's have been used.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks CCT. Followed the instructions from the suggested URL. Rebooted the PC, and restarted repair install. The install took me straight back to the ASMS file request & would not go any further.

That reboot was a full shutdown?

Can always try a second time.

Then, if no joy, make sure that the CD drive is being seen by bios - tap F8 I believe on boot and get into the Bios and look at Atapi CD ROM under the Boot heading.

I can't think of any other actions except to suggest you may just want to do a SLOW repair using the original CD then add the service packs later.

Repair Install of XP SP3

Thanks CCT. I found MS 311755. Looks like the prev url adv if you have NTFS formatted drive. I have Fat32 format. Could I copy the I386 folder to the HD from the Orig XP CD, then point to that folder when the error occurs? or as you say, can I carry out a repair install using the orig XP install CD. Will this overwrite the SP3 version without complaint?

"Will this overwrite the SP3 version"

If the original CD is XP SP1 then it'll 'overwrite' (basically, afaik, they are still there BUT aren't used which means your registry gets a wopping mess left behind) SP2 and SP3 and you'll have to add them again. You might also have issues with IE8, I am not sure.

You have tried booting to Safe Mode?

Angry Repair Install of XP SP3

CCT et al, I think I've tried all I know on this, and hope someone (CCT etal) can think of anything else.
    I've tried Slipstreamed SP3 (several copies), I've tried a slipstreamed SP2, and dare I say the original XP disc. I've tried editing the registry as instructed in the above url (several times). I've even swapped CD/DVD ROM, and always come back to the same point. I'm now even wondering if a last resort XP rebuild will fail.
    Cannot understand that XP initially reads/installs files from the CD, upto a point of reboot, and resets it's install at the same point every time.
    I cannot see the CD Rom via dos either, to copy the file across.
    Safeboot, after a couple of mins of loading files also advises it cannot continue in set-up mode.
    I'm just wondering if XP continues to see the very first repair install, see's a problem, and will not deviate, no matter what repair CD one uses.

Howie - if there is stuff on that drive you value, then at this point I'd leave it be, disconnect it and then;

- reset the Bios

- get a NEW drive and try a Fresh Install with your Slipstreamed CD (you usually have to add Sata drivers at the prompt)

- if that installs OK, then slave the old drive and recover what you need

edit: you know your CD drive works because you get so far into the install, so is it a Sata drive?