Parallel extension cable

Thread: Parallel extension cable

Parallel extension cable

Hello :O)

I have a client which uses a laser parallel printers and parallel print servers which is attached directly to the printers via CENTRONICS 36 connector at the back of the printer.
    The thing is that people move the printers closer to the wall at times and it breaks the Centronics connector at the back of the printer or the connector at the print server side, So he asked me to get him short centronics male to female parallel extension cable which was very hard to find.
    The reason that he wanted it with centronics and to be short is because this specific print server gets its power from the printer itself (No external power because of the client's logistic reasons).
    I searched all over the world for the shortest extension possible (I needed 20 cables like this), And I found 3 options :
    1. to buy male + Female centronics 36 IDC connectors + IDC ribbon cable and a crimp tool and to connect them myself - This option costs 150$ and might take few weeks because of a specific vendor out of stock and slow shipping
    2. buy custom made IDC Ribbon short extension cables for 400$
    3. Buy ready made cable 3ft long I found on german ebay which costs about 80$
    The question I have is there won't be power signal loss for the print server since it's a 3ft long cable ? It's the shortest already made cable I've found (There was 6ft cable in the US and 5ft cable at the UK)
    Last edited by HipHoper; November 18th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.

I looked online for a 90 degree adapter or cable, but came up empty. Sorry! Will ask at work, maybe someone there has a source.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Thank you Guts for all your wiling for helping. I've decided to order the 1M cable which is the cheapest option and I hope it won't loose the power signal generated by the printer. It's a small price to pay for that small risk. Worst case scenario I'll lose 80$ and some time. I guess that even if we find 90 degrees connector it will cost at least 7-8$, So it's my best bet for now.
    P.S. I'm also afraid the a 90 degrees connector might not sit well in the back of the printer because the print server weights like 250 grams (I'ts a robust one), Although I guess it can be attached to the body of the printer in some way if there are no interfering connectors.....
    Last edited by HipHoper; November 19th, 2010 at 04:25 AM.