windows back up
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: windows back up

windows back up

I bought my computer with Windows XP pre installed. My vendor has now ceased trading and cannot be traced. I am concerned that although a legitimacy check confirms it is valid I would be in trouble if my Hard disk crashed and I do not have a CD to reload.
    I have now got a removable hard drive and am using it to back up the WINDOWS folder using the Buffalo software included.
    It keeps showing error messages saying "Error occurred during Compression" and "unable to compress File name"
    Am I wasting my time? woould my back up being usable?

No your backup would not be usable I don't think

Ghost would work, but what happens if you want to reinstall or repair.

It is quite legal to buy the correct media with out the key as you have a certificate of authenticity attached to the PC case some where (don't you?).

I am quite happy to make install media once I have confirmed the the authenticity of the licence - I have to because people ignore the pc when it asks them to make a cd or dvd backup.

Which vendor went bust?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

You have a couple of options, steambuff. It would be legal to obtain and use a burned copy of XP that matches your licensed version, but you can also get a replacement from Microsoft:

Media replacement for users of system builders' computers
    If you purchased your software from a system builder who is no longer in business, click the link for your region in the following list:

* EMEA, Middle East, and Africa
    https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/sta...calecode=en-us (https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/sta...calecode=en-us)
    * United States and Canada
    https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/sta...calecode=en-us (https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/sta...calecode=en-us)
    * Latin America or South America
    * Asia-Pacific
    https://om.one.microsoft.com/opa/sta...calecode=en-us

Thanks for those replies. I'll work on them. The vendor was a local chap who built computer to your needs and was very helpful. But he has health problems and had to give up.
    I don't have a problem at the moment but I am trying to be careful.
    I have heard of many cases of people who have lost their whole system because of a disc crash

You will lose you system... what you don't have is the ability to rebuild it. Now a local helpful chap should have given you the system disk. Do you have the sticker on the case?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

One of the many reasons I admire NooNoo is her tact. Steambuff, what she is actually suggesting is that you have an illegal copy of Windows. And, yes, even with WGA and Windows Activation, that's a real possibility. A small System Builder is required to give you a Windows disk with the computer. No exceptions. If your computer doesn't have a Certificate of Authenticity attached (that's a small greenish sticker with your Product ID) then your Windows isn't a legal version. This is what you need to look for.

Please note the page includes a link to report the pirated software to Microsoft and get a legal copy. No, they won't treat you like a criminal. Yes, they will provide you a legal copy of Windows.

I like to break it to 'em gently... after all they think they paid for a copy with the machine and they got ripped off and then they see the price of retail....

Steambuff, don't fear the sticker shock. MS realizes you've already paid.

I gather from your posts that you are in the UK (?). Anyway, you might enjoy this link to info about Austin, Texas' steam train which is currently undergoing a rebuild.

Windows Replacement

Thanks for link to Texas engine. Interesting. Have just been on Tornado.
    The new build A1 Peppercorn.
    I haven't managed to find a sticker yet unless it inside. So no COA which MS seem to need. I guess I'll just have tokeep hoping I don't crash. Or rely on finding another friendly local guy.

It was a friendly guy that got you into this mess. Just buy a copy of XP and you won't have any more worries. It's still available at newegg for $90 - less than the cost of two games!

Personally, as a system builder who competed with a guy who installed the same copy of Windows 98 on every machine he built for over 3 years without ever providing so much as burned bootleg CD, I say throw the scum-sucking, incestuous slime-pig to the wolves. Report him to Microsoft. Do yourself and honest builders a favor. MS will reward you.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Personally, as a system builder who competed with a guy who installed the same copy of Windows 98 on every machine he built for over 3 years without ever providing so much as burned bootleg CD, I say throw the scum-sucking, incestuous slime-pig to the wolves. Report him to Microsoft. Do yourself and honest builders a favor. MS will reward you.
    I did lose my system but managed to recover but was advised hard drive was going and it did. I have now got a replacement machine with a genuine XP system. I have been in contact with Norton re reinstalling my antivirue suite and thet have advised me against relaoding the Registry Booster from Uniblue. Should I take thier advice. I don't think the Uniblue Reg Booster is an antivirus/spyware program.

For the most part I don't advise people to use registry cleaners/boosters unless they know how to safely modify the registry to begin with. The reason behind that is because you need to understand what the program is doing before you rely on it as your wondertool. Registry tools can be bad and good depending on how well the product is designed and what it's being used for. Norton may be advising not to use it for many reasons or just one. Reasons I can think of off the top of my head are:
    1. The registry program undoes some of the cleaning that Norton has done
    2. The program can corrupt Norton
    3. It has a possible history of trashing a computer in general or when installed side by side with Norton
    4. Disables functions on Norton
    This of course is just the list on the top of my head at the moment for them to not advise you using it. Of course there is also the question of why do you need this program?
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    For the most part I don't advise people to use registry cleaners/boosters unless they know how to safely modify the registry to begin with. The reason behind that is because you need to understand what the program is doing before you rely on it as your wondertool. Registry tools can be bad and good depending on how well the product is designed and what it's being used for. Norton may be advising not to use it for many reasons or just one. Reasons I can think of off the top of my head are:
    1. The registry program undoes some of the cleaning that Norton has done
    2. The program can corrupt Norton
    3. It has a possible history of trashing a computer in general or when installed side by side with Norton
    4. Disables functions on Norton
    This of course is just the list on the top of my head at the moment for them to not advise you using it. Of course there is also the question of why do you need this program?
    Concur. Most "tune-up" utilities these days don't really help performance much more in any regard than Windows built-in stuff. You'll be hard pressed to see a difference. Registry "optimizers" are a very different breed of cat; sooner or later they will trash your system. Just say no.

BTW, Austin's steam train is still being rebuilt. The Austin Steam Train runs remain diesel-electric, but the massive restoration of the steam engine continues.

Smile

Thanks for info and link to Austin Rail. Very interesting I am afraid I am unlikely to be visiting states again - I am too old.
    By the way I suppose Windows Defender is OK to run with Nortn