Just saying hello from my fresh Kubuntu 10.10 install

Thread: Just saying hello from my fresh Kubuntu 10.10 install

Talking Just saying hello from my fresh Kubuntu 10.10 install

I got bored and installed a 250GB HDD with Kubuntu 10.10 on an old HP laptop I have. So far I have to say I'm impressed with the speed and ease of use with this version. I don't think it will replace my Win7 machines but it will inspire me to use this laptop once again.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Hello! I must admit, I can't tell the difference between Kubuntu electrons and Windows 7 electrons!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

That's the cool thing about Kubuntu, they worked really hard on making it close to impossible to tell which kind of electrons I use!
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    That's the cool thing about Kubuntu, they worked really hard on making it close to impossible to tell which kind of electrons I use!
    Enjoying it yet, Niclo Iste? :P

Not fully, the laptops battery won't hold a charge longer than me holding my breath, the wireless keeps flaking out, and I tried using it to program my firewall I just set up but even its NIC is having issues. Though I have to say only one of those three problems I think is in relation to the OS. With that all aside I have very little use of a linux system other than a cost effective way to use hardware that is collecting dust on the shelves.

P.S.
    How's college going and did your parents ever decide to replace that dell downstairs?
    One Script to find them.

How's college going and did your parents ever decide to replace that dell downstairs?
    Medical Leave of Absence. Ended up with respiratory infections for about 2 months, had to recover, so meh.

That dell finally crapped itself and died. Finally was able to do testing on figuring out why it was so slow, found that (a) the RAM was burning a bit evident by burn marks on the RAM sticks, and (b) the hard disk was dying, had a ton of bad sectors on it :P

There's a newer eMachines running Win7 on it, but since I have about 5 different systems (one laptop, one netbook, one desktop, one server, and one old box that i'm tweaking), i dont have access to the thing :P

And for the record, there's a streak of Kubuntu failures lately, so many people have been using the GNOME equivalent (plain old Ubuntu)
    Last edited by TrekCaptainUSA; February 4th, 2011 at 01:59 AM.

[QUOTE=Niclo Iste;686038] With that all aside I have very little use of a linux system other than a cost effective way to use hardware that is collecting dust on the shelves.

I have to say I agree hehehe
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Wink

[QUOTE=Ferrit;686042]
    With that all aside I have very little use of a linux system other than a cost effective way to use hardware that is collecting dust on the shelves.

I have to say I agree hehehe
    +1 that :P

Be nice to Linux guys! I find it useful in quite a few data recovery scenarios, and there's a lot of other software I use that is Linux based. For individuals and organizations that are seriously strapped for cash, it's a viable alternative to both Windows and the Mac OS. Though I really think KDE isn't as stable as Gnome. Anyway, for someone building a computer on a really tight budget, Windows can represent something like 30% of the total system cost. Still, there's no question that running Linux continues to require more technical expertise and commitment than mainstream operating systems.

Sorry I whole heartedly disagree.
    1: It is not now and wont for the foreseeable future be a desktop I can deploy to
    mom and pop and totally forget about like windows 7.
    2: It earns me no money at all.

Just as a side note. If windows is 30% of the budget of a pc, UMM How can I say this. Thats gotta be a very very budget pc.
    And the single greatest dislike is the attitude of a lot of Linux users that can be summed up in 1 statement I hear in chat a lot.
    Windows sucks and linux rules.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Well I didn't intend this to be a "which is better" thread. However this is my take so I can be clear on my stance.

1. Windows: I like Windows. It's popular, and lots of support is available either through MS or other users. I also understand it better than the other OSs, mostly because I've used many of it's variants over the years. So I can disect some of the registry and system files without fear I'll make a bad mistake.

2. Mac: I like Macs as far as asthetics go and if I wanted to be an arts major. They are useful for what they are designed for in my opinion. I just can't justify the cost for their systems.

3. Linux (any variants): I find it a lot more pleasant than it used to be 10 years ago. I prefer the versions written off the Debian kernel. They do run lighter than the brand names listed above, but also require a bit of learning before usage. Most learning can be made from huge books you can get from a store or library. You can opt to learn what you need from the net, just you're working with information that can be incomplete, assumed, or just plain wrong. I like using it to dig through a computer that's infected and I do find it handy for running machinery I don't plan on buying windows for since it's doing light work/using it as a temporary system. I do not like how if you have the latest and greatest devices... say anything released in the past 3 months that it may not have supported drivers for those items and the drivers you may find require 472 thousand steps half of which are done in a command console and the commands may vary for each scenario (I prefer to reserve my troubleshooting for devices that should have worked already but didn't).
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    Sorry I whole heartedly disagree.
    1: It is not now and wont for the foreseeable future be a desktop I can deploy to
    mom and pop and totally forget about like windows 7.
    2: It earns me no money at all.

Just as a side note. If windows is 30% of the budget of a pc, UMM How can I say this. Thats gotta be a very very budget pc.
    And the single greatest dislike is the attitude of a lot of Linux users that can be summed up in 1 statement I hear in chat a lot.
    Windows sucks and linux rules.
    First of all, I never said that I thought a Linux machine was suitable for all users, and I admitted that there are still some technical hurdles to running it. But, Windows 7 (however much I like it) isn't an OS you can deploy to mom and pop and totally forget. In fact Mom and Pop and the kids and grandkids could screw up an operating system written by God Himself.

"Gee, Grandma, look at all the cool FREE screen savers and backgrounds I downloaded! Listen to this rad ringtone I got for free! Say, Grandma, is bestiality kinda like the stuff we learn in 4-H? 'Cause I can see some for free on this website I found! Wow! Adult Friend Finder says that Roscoe69 wants to be my special friend! What's DP?"

Of course Linux fanatics should be put feet first into wood chippers. Right after the Mac groupies. OK, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the Linux groupies should be first so the Mac fanboys get to savor the anticipation. Details, details.

All the same, for a user on a really strict budget or an organization that has the technical expertise and needs to cut hardware costs to the bone, Linux is a good fit. Of course there are glitches, but for many entities, Linux systems and apps provide all needed functionality.

Re: Point 2, selling hardware isn't where I make money. I can't compete with eMachines, etc. on basic hardware, so I need to offer additional value that includes setup, data transfer, training, enhanced warranty service, etc. as part of the package. Changing the operating system really doesn't change the business model much.

For anyone looking to build a system on a tight budget, Windows is a significant cost. Let's say I wanted to build a computer for business, I could buy decent basic components like these:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827106289
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16811148046
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820717001
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136498
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813186189
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16823109164
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16826105167
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820161279
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819103688

and get a decent computer for about $254 with Linux. For Windows 7 Home Premium, add $99, or 39% to the basic system cost. That would buy a monitor.

Again, I'm not proposing a "one size fits all' approach. It's about what works.

Edit: It is also worth mentioning that a free version of Linux can connect to a Windows Server Domain without spending the cash to upgrade the OS from "Home" to "Professional".
    Last edited by slgrieb; February 8th, 2011 at 12:34 AM. Reason: More Salt In The Wounds

Has anyone any experience with this? I am going to d/l it and try it out.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

First off, if this is WINdrivers, how the heck did we end up discussing Linux, except after Niclo stated his opinions on the Windows vs. Mac vs. Linux thing?

Secondly, to answer Guts3d's question, I havent seen that before, i might try it out too.

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    Has anyone any experience with this? I am going to d/l it and try it out.
    The last time I saw that software/OS was 3+ years ago. It was considered good by its fans but people who tried it out said at the time it was outdated and more a burden than anything else..
    One Script to find them.