Windows 2008 Server and printing issues

Thread: Windows 2008 Server and printing issues

Windows 2008 Server and printing issues

I have a Windows 2008 Server R2 64 bit and having problems installing 2 printers. One is a Xerox Phaser 5500 and the other is an IBM InfoPrint 1585. I have downloaded and installed the printer drivers, but when I print a test page from server 2008, i receive an error message. When I look in the print queue, I see the document and the status ---error - printing. I have tried removing the printers, deleting the registry key and reinstalling, but still having the same problem. I have 4 other printers installed and working.

I have tried different drivers for these 2 printers. These two printers are working on our other print server (Windows 2003 Server).

Any help would be appreciated because I really need to get this print server up and running because some users are running Win 7 64 bit and having problems printing to the Windows 2003 server.

Thanks
    I think the problem is either an ID10T or PEBCAK error

How are they connected? Network direct, network via a Jetdirect type of print server? If a print server what brand?
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

This is the same network without a domain. They are all standalone PC's. All the users connect via UNC to the printers and are required to authenticate with a username/password. but the problem now is with the Windows 2008 Server and those 2 printers. It's not a name brand, it's a local shop that built the server.

The strange thing is that I've tried to install the same 2 printers on several users that are running Win 7 64 bit so they print directly to the printer and not through the print sever and when they print, I receive the same error message. But the rest of the users can print to these 2 printers just fine.

Thanks

What I meant is how are the printers physically connected to the network - do they have a built-in network adapter or do you connect them to a Jetdirect?

The printers have a built in network adapter.

Anyone have any ideas of what the problem could be. These 2 printers are installed on a Windows 2003 Server with no problem. I just can't get them working on a Windows 2008 Server 64 bit machine.

Thanks

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    I believe the problem is the 64 bit operating system. Are you using the correct drivers? You mentioned that Win 7 users with 64 bit were having problems on the 2003 server. Are 64 bit drivers available for these printers???
    Sergeant WOTPP

What brand/model are the printers?
    Do they require a network port monitor driver to be installed? If yes, do they have support for LPR that you can try?

Many network printer problems are related to using the auto detect settings. Install the most current drivers and manually select the printer and printer port.

One printer is a Xerox Phaser 5500. The other printer is an IBM Infoprint 1585. They both have 64 bit drivers. I've been to the website and downloaded the drivers for Server 2008.

"Do they require a network port monitor driver to be installed? If yes, do they have support for LPR that you can try? " I'm not sure, I will have to check.

I'll try installing them again. When I installed them before I didn't choose the auto detect settings and I manually entered the IP and port. I've tried different drivers including the most recent drivers.

"What brand/model are the printers?
    Do they require a network port monitor driver to be installed? If yes, do they have support for LPR that you can try? "

I can change the setting from RAW to LPR, but I'm not sure what to put in LPR settings, it asks for a Queue name.

Quote Originally Posted by Todo View Post
    I can change the setting from RAW to LPR, but I'm not sure what to put in LPR settings, it asks for a Queue name.
    prt0

RTFM
    http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docvie...id=swg21425081

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Thanks - I tried printing via LPR, but I still have the same problem on both the Phaser 5500 and IBM Infoprint. The only difference with using LPR, it just takes longer to try and print and then I see the same error message. I've tried to contact Xerox tech support, but not much help. Since this is only a non live print server, I might end up reinstalling Server and then try installing the Phaser 5500 first and see what happens unless someone has anything else to try.