Windows Updates never ending story

Thread: Windows Updates never ending story

Windows Updates never ending story

Hey guys,

Been a long time since I've posted here but I'm at my wits end with this one. I saw this issue once before on the previous laptop I worked with but after leaving it running for a long time it eventually "fixed" itself.

Anyways I have an Asus laptop with windows 7 home installed. I was turned off since 2012. Turned it back on recently and it will just sit infinitely checking for windows updates. I've left the machine running for two days and it just spins endlessly.

Ran the "reset windows update" batch file that's accessible elsewhere on the internet that deletes all the softwaredistribution and resets all components and other such stuff. It didn't make a difference. So I also ran the System REadiness update patch thing. It came back with no errors. I can install patches manually myself. I have run the convienice rollup update for windows 7, internet explorer 11, .net 4.6 and a few others. I've installed Steam and installed a game that did the redistrib stuff and directx also seemingly without issue. The computer is running okay but the system will sit using 50 of a processor all the time. I can just disable it but then I'm not getting patched. I'm not sure what else I should be looking at. I am connected wirelessly to my router and my other machines are updating just fine.

Windows update log (that I don't really understand) pasted here:
    http://pastebin.com/ePQZeM6Q

arch0n
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

--
    Doc
    ___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

Great to hear from you again arch0nmyc0n. When re-installing Windows 7, I found the same problem with trying to install the updates. Finally I found an article advising to install the KB3083710 update first, then reboot and then install update KB3102810 next. After doing this, the updates loaded faster and with no problems. ( Make sure you download the correct version for your system: IE 32/64 bit.)
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Wow this place isn't much like it used to be. Where is everyone?

Anywho thanks for the replies. So I tried SpywareDr's link and I remember using this in the past but had forgotten about it. So I run the diagnositcs and it found registry settings and things that it said it fixed. But it had an installation issue with an update and reported an error code. I captured the error code, but I lost it due to future steps. I google what I remember and it doesn't look familiar but I think it was 80070634 or something close. Anyways I google it and it tells me to run SFC so I do and it finds a number of things says it fixes it. The second step was to run the REadiness tool again so I did that, still didn't find anything. So I try to update and it doesn't work.

So I come back the next day and see your post Zonie. I vaguely recall what you said and thank you for the info. I installed those two patches and tried again, left it overnight again with no luck. So I get pissed off and say screw it and nuke the filesystem and reinstall. I get into windows, install the two patches Zonie said and bam, comes up in like 15 minutes (or maybe less, I wandered off). So I'm like okay cool and I run the convenience update and reboot. Try to update again and it's stuck again. Try installing those updates again but no difference still won't go. Nuke it again and actually install via windows updates and it seems to be working. I install 237 updates in the first pass and the second pass is installing now. I'm thinking the corruption the SFC found combined with those udpates awas causing some other issue. I hate giving up and reloading, but it's not that important of a system.

I do have another mothballed machine from the same timeframe I'm going to bring up shortly so I'm going to try those updates straight off the bat and see if it'll update properly after that.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm so used to working in a corporate environment now that the personal side of things is a bit short.

arch0n
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Glad things worked out for you. Times have changed around here for sure. Every now and then, someone from the past shows up. It is almost like a ghost town.

Well still not working out. The CBS stuff got messed up during the updates... and now CHECKSUR is finding errors. God I hate windows sometimes. I might check the drive with a diagnostic tool see if there are some issues with it or something....

Have you checked the drive yet? What are some of the errors you are getting. Just did a new hard drive reinstall yesterday and all went well with updates after the pre KB's installed.

take it to some software engineer.. there mmust be some issue in your sftware you are using