Problem pinging and DHCP

Thread: Problem pinging and DHCP

Problem pinging and DHCP

Hi,

I have a client which have an ADSL modem, A 3com router and 16 port switch that is connected to several computers and copier machines/plotters.
    I arrived to his site today since he had no internet. The Adsl link seemed ok and the router settings too, And when I connected the computer he couldnt surf in DIRECTLY to the router (Not via the switch) It worked, So I assumed that the switch was faulty and replaced it with a new one. It still refused to get DHCP while it was connected via the new switch, So I thought it might be some compatibility issue with the router and I've replaced it too, But it still didn't get IP Adress from the router when it was connected to the new switch, Only when it was connected to the router itself.
    I've replaced the cables and even the network cards - but still same problem.
    Another copier machine on the same network behaves the same - Can't ping her static IP while she is connected to the switch - Only when she is connected to the router.....
    Do you have any idea how can i solve this ?
    Right now the problematic computer and copier are connected via the router and everything works, But I want to solve this problem and connect them to the switch like they shuold be connected.
    OS is win xp pro sp3 - I've removed NIS 2011 that was installed on the problematic computer and installed only avira free AV

There could be a problem with the PC trying to grab the static IP on the copier. I would suggest assign a static IP to the problem PC and see if this works. Make sure to assign the router IP for the DNS1 and on DNS2 use 4.2.2.2. Hope this helps.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

just replaced 8 of the 14 cables that goes out of the switch since i wanted it neater and the problem went away.....Might be because I disconnected the ADSL modem which I didn't before but I doubt it......Will keep my on this network for the next few weeks....

Thank you Zonie. BTW what is DNS 4.2.2.2 ?

It is a public DNS server I use occasionaly to resolve any network problems for connectivity to the internet since it is always up.

Is it a plain switch or a managed one? I've had an issue LOOOONG time ago with a HP Procurve, similar behavior, was fixed by resetting to defaults...
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Thanks Zonie for the info.
    CB, It is a plain switch (I think it's Level One brand) But it was set aside for few days since i bought a replacement so maybe that's what resetted it completely......

Looked at the 4.2.2.2 and it seems google created a "rival" 8.8.8.8 lol :

http://www.tummy.com/Community/Artic...us-dns-server/
    Last edited by HipHoper; July 11th, 2011 at 11:10 AM.

Well you know google, they have to be one up as they say. 4.2.2.2 has been around since 1998 by GTE. Thought this was interesting.