I miss... - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I miss...

As long as we're discussing changes, how about remote access software? Is there anything else that has made your job so much easier? Remember PC Anywhere? Remember how much it sucked?

Sucked was being way way way too generous
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

One thing I don't miss was mapping out bad sectors on brand new hard drives; or even going into the BIOS everytime you bought a new drive and tediously typing in the sectors, cylinders, etc.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    One thing I don't miss was mapping out bad sectors on brand new hard drives; or even going into the BIOS everytime you bought a new drive and tediously typing in the sectors, cylinders, etc.
    Hahahahah that is SO retro......hilarious.

Regarding remote software.....Up to like 3 years ago it was such a mess.....only Pc-anywhere could do a decent job....Now days....Logmein....Teamviewer....Vnc SC and such.....Which remind me the day we used winfax to send faxes for the computer and the conflicting com ports in the pre-usb era.....

Good news! I just got an order to build for an I7 with 12 gigs DDR3 ram, huge hard drive, smoking hot video card, Windows 7 Ultimate and a sweeeet new case. It is for a relative so I am not making a dime, but I look forward to looking for the best deals for the best hardware.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

While I never did that many computer builds in the first place and only really do them for family and close friends now I find that if you explain to the person that the OEM has those cheaper parts and only a 1 year warranty standard compared to the higher quality parts you chose and the fact that most parts come with a 3yr, 5yr, or in some cases lifetime warranty you can convince the person by comparing that same OEM PC with an upgraded 3 year warranty and spec for spec I can always beat that even when I factor in a 15% - 20% build fee of the total parts cost into the job.

Outside of a laptop I refuse to let my family and some of my closer friends purchase OEM. Of course I do not make much of a profit off them but I figure getting them a quality computer will help limit the tech support calls down the road too.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Hey Guts, sounds like you are going to have a lot of fun! I can't help you really, wrong country... but crucial/uk ram is the bestest!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by BOB IROC View Post
    While I never did that many computer builds in the first place and only really do them for family and close friends now I find that if you explain to the person that the OEM has those cheaper parts and only a 1 year warranty standard compared to the higher quality parts you chose and the fact that most parts come with a 3yr, 5yr, or in some cases lifetime warranty you can convince the person by comparing that same OEM PC with an upgraded 3 year warranty and spec for spec I can always beat that even when I factor in a 15% - 20% build fee of the total parts cost into the job.

Outside of a laptop I refuse to let my family and some of my closer friends purchase OEM. Of course I do not make much of a profit off them but I figure getting them a quality computer will help limit the tech support calls down the road too.
    Actually that's how I have run my business for the last 15 years and done so successfully. As far as i can see quality always gets the nod and people don't mind paying fair dollar for it. That saves me a ton of service work later.
    Just took back one I built 10 years ago almost to the day Aug 24th 2002
    AMD Duron on a Epox motherboard with Kingston ram and a seagate harddrive. Its run non stop all these years,been through 2 kids and the rest of the family.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

What is irking me is all the people bringing computers to me with "an activation issue". It seems update 1033 fried their copy of Win7. After I explain that this is what 1033 is supposed to do, as it seeks out bogus copies of Win7. I then get weird looks of embarrassment and "Well, uh, I..."

That's when I hand it back to them and tell them that they need to buy a legal copy and bring both to me.