Just a thought

Thread: Just a thought

Just a thought

I know a handful of us are versed in several platforms of operating systems other than Windows, and granted this is called WinDrivers. I would like to suggest possibly adding new sections for those looking for help in other Operating systems. For example I know I'm a rookie to Ubuntu or any version of linux but I'm sure the things I discover and could share would still be handy to someone on here. I just think it would be nice to possibly add sections like Mac, and the popular flavors of linux such as ubuntu, redhat, etc. These would be more along the lines of general help rather than full blown sectional topics like the Microsoft oriented setup we have in place.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Actually, I think the forum has those sections in place. However, we've got a very small active membership, and all of us are computer professionals. That mostly means Windows experts. I think within that spectrum we've got a great range of expertise from guys like CeeBee, Bob IROC, and Guts3D who have tons of serious network and server experience to folk like me who are Jacks of all trades. I think Platypus probably has more expertise in laptops than anyone I know. I have always kept my hand in a bit of Mac service and support, and I've no doubt that Bob IROC is very expert in all things Apple. I dabble a bit in Linux like other members.

The problem, however, is that you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink. In today's forum scene, you pretty much can't even lead the horse; it will wander wherever the Hell it wants to go. Support forums are a nickel a gross.

Good point, I just figured it might be nice to try and have a more diverse environment. I'll just chalk this up to a post made from too much caffeine.
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    Good point, I just figured it might be nice to try and have a more diverse environment. I'll just chalk this up to a post made from too much caffeine.
    Nah, I think encouraging diversity is a good idea. I'd like it if this was once more a livelier forum. I just don't see much that we can do as members to make that happen.

I hate to be evil, but this IS WinDrivers... if you need other platform forum discussions, such as for Debian or Ubuntu, I'll be glad to give you good sources for those discussions.

I am against Niclo's recommendation - this is WinDrivers, and it should remain primarily Windows for its forum usage (hence why we shouldn't have other platforms' sections)

Really it wasn't because I need help, as I can find whatever I want pretty easily or figure it out on my own. I was thinking of just adding my tips and notes for beginners. To be honest I'm not about to sign up to another forum just so I can give my own insight. One is good enough for me.
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    Really it wasn't because I need help, as I can find whatever I want pretty easily or figure it out on my own. I was thinking of just adding my tips and notes for beginners. To be honest I'm not about to sign up to another forum just so I can give my own insight. One is good enough for me.
    You do have a point, there. DANG IT! Now you've got me on the fence about your idea >.>

Another consideration is that we're WinDrivers, yet tackle hardware and other software issues too. We do have the Linux forum (nothing specifically for Mac) but the lack of activity there suggests there's no call for anything more.

Niclo, if you wanted to put together some thoughts on your experience that might help someone ease into Linux, there's no reason why you couldn't post in the Linux forum as an article or series...