Registry Errors

Thread: Registry Errors

Registry Errors

Ok, someone please sanity check me.

I just did a fresh install of Windows XP Home Edition SP2. I made sure to delete all of the previous partitions, create a new single partition, and then formatted the HDD.

My understanding is that if you do that then EVERYTHING on the computer to include the registry is reset...brand new...never been touched. If this is not correct please let me know.

I had a tech support dude from ***** remote into my computer and tell me that it was stuffed because my registry was bad....a day after i installed.

You're right, a fresh install onto a newly created partition, or even a re-formatted existing partition, will create a fresh registry. But it is possible for a new registry to be corrupted, I've had that happen on an older system when I had a bad IDE data cable, the registry kept corrupting.

If you had a tech remote in, does that mean you did have a problem with the Windows install?

Registry Issues

I had a tech login because it was part of my support package for Norton 360.

I was having issues installing norton 360 so i invoked the almighty tech support. Alot of good that did me :P

I have SATA drives so i don't think that is the issue. Thank you for the information though.

I'm going to try to perform another fresh install and check the registry before i do anything else. This is getting way annoying though, i've had this computer for 2 almost 3 years now and never had problems till i reinstalled.

I always suggest running basic hardware checks anytime you have file corruption issues (and Registry problems certainly come under that heading). Run the extended drive test with the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utility from a bootable CD, and let it run at least a couple of hours (more is better) of a memory diagnostic like MemTest 86+.

And, frankly, I see a lot of installation issues with Norton, and 360 in particular. So, if you have any installation problems with 360, you should expect Registry errors to go with them as a result rather than a cause.

I have to agree to SL on this. I've had more issues with norton than any other scanner. I also have had them do all kinds of fun things to botch up various versions of windows.

Who remembers the joys of Norton Crash Generator, I mean Recovery.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; June 16th, 2011 at 11:48 AM.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    I have to agree to SL on this. I've had more issues with norton than any other scanner. I also have had them do all kinds of fun things to botch up various versions of windows.
    Yeah, I'm going to agree here, Norton tends to cause more problems than its worth. I've also witnessed the same thing that Niclo has noticed, so its quite possible that Norton broke your Registry.

If norton is bad then what would one of you guys recommend?

Avoid McAfee like the plague. In order of my preference would be:
    NOD32 found at www.eset.com (Pay)
    Kaspersky found at local stores and online(Pay)
    Microsoft Security Essentials (Free from microsoft)

completely remove the old AV or even better do a fresh windows install if your registry is botched and then use one of the suggested AV.
    One Script to find them.

NOD 32 Looks interesting and i've never heard of it.

Kaspersky is worse that Norton (from experience) and i've learned in the past that you get what you pay for (Free usually = BAAAADDDD juju)

Thank you all for your quick responses! I appreciate it more than you will know.

You're welcome. Actually I don't trust free for my life but Microsofts Free AV is the best free one you will find.

Kaspersky is a mixed blessing, it's the most secure. Just you have to go into the settings to do so as they ship it hobbled. The drawback is that it's so secure that you will see a huge decrease in performance and the scans are so thorough after you adjust the settings that it should be timed with a calendar rather than a clock.

NOD32 is the most effective and well rounded AV I've seen. It has a small footprint and scans are completed quickly and with notable results, provided there was anything for it to find in the first place.
    One Script to find them.

So long story short...

I reinstalled XP again and my registry was still jacked...don't know how.... so i worked on my laptop to add a few additional support programs to my desktop...

I added NOD 32 and Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.

Works like new. Thank you for all of your posts and your patience. I hope that this thread ends up helping someone else besides me.

Quote Originally Posted by jbrownaf View Post
    Registry Cleaner.
    Take what a Registry Cleaner claims about your registry with a very large grain of salt. They have to claim you've got registry problems to justify their existence...

I know...the thing is my computer is working. Just got done installing sound card drivers for my comp. I do know that it's highly likely that there were no issues but my computer was running SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SLOOOOOOOOOWWWWW... and now it's running almost like new.