Windows Update Agent

Thread: Windows Update Agent

Windows Update Agent

Here lately almost every XP machine I have had to format windows update won't work and I have to use the windows update agent to make it work and even then I have to use it almost every time I restart the pc. Did I mis something? Is this a new way for MS to make you move on to the latest OS?

I do have the latest service pack installed and just trying to get the rest of the updates.

Sometimes I even have to reinstall the os over again but yet fight again to get updates.

Date and time are correct in every instance.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Typically that's a sign of an infector to me, even a rootkit one. The other thought is if you were referring to the Microsoft updater which is confused for the windows updater, the microsoft updater is for office only and can be updated manually from the website.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    Typically that's a sign of an infector to me, even a rootkit one. The other thought is if you were referring to the Microsoft updater which is confused for the windows updater, the microsoft updater is for office only and can be updated manually from the website.

This is a completely fresh install and on almost every machine that has come in for a format in the last 2 or three weeks. This is for windows updates. It keeps taking me to a MS site that says I probably don't have the latest service pack and give me direction on how to get the latest from MS but I'm installing with a sp/3 disc which I have used many times over. Now this even happens on a brand new drive. The only thing I have found to get updates to take off is the "windows update agent" which comes from MS.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

... but I'm installing with a sp/3 disc which I have used many times over.

Are you using a VLK ( Volume Licensing Key ) disk? If so, I would suggest that you get another copy. If it is a burned disk, I would invest in a new holographic disk from Microsoft.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I to had a problem this last week with a new install. I also used a sp3 disc I burned to CD. The sp3 was downloaded from MS website as a distributale package therefore not needing a VLK. Apparently there is something wrong with the server and the way it is reading the service pack info.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

no these are disc's I made from oem disc's and I use there code's on the box to instal the os. It happened to me again just yesterday. I run the windows update agent and then it goes. I have also tried different discs.

And now this appears to be happening with every fresh install I do with any disc I use. I just did another fresh install after I posted last and it did it again. I have to use the update agent every time now. Could it be my store IP? I will try from home next time and see if this happens there.

any AV/firewalls on?
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

windows firewall but this is a fresh install. No av. This isn't just one machine this is every machine I do now. Also I just formatted one with it's own recovery partition and it did it also which eliminates my cd's I use. I may have to call my ip and have my ip changed.

And yet another one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    And yet another one.
    Could there be an infected system on your network?

Just a thought, not an accusation...
    When you’re left out of the club, you know it, when you’re in the club, you don’t see what the problem is.

I just did another fresh install last night, used the same SP3 disc and this time there was no problem with the updates. Makes you wonder what is going on.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

No affected computers and there not networked anyway. I did a fresh install this morning and when I tried to activate it said I had no connection to the server and it wanted me to phone until I ran the update manager program. Once I run it then it did all the updates. I know I had a connection because I was able to go elsewhere. Strange.

Next format I do I will do at home and see if it happens. In fact I have a laptop I need to install a new hard drive in this weekend. I will use the same disc.

Oh and BTW this is only on XP not Vista or Win 7 so I can't test my theroy because the laptop is Vista.