Puzzled

Thread: Puzzled

Puzzled

Ok I have a client that has an issue that I am stumped on and before I get crazy and wipe the computer I thought I would run it past some of the people here.

For some reason when he inserts WMV files into a PowerPoint2007 the video does not play. He gets audio but no video. WMV files play fine in Windows Media Player and other applications I am told but not in PowerPoint.

He ran that Office diagnostics and I even had him try uninstall and reinstall Office 2007 all together. He also tried disabling hardware acceleration and that did not help. Last I spoke with him I asked if he could try and insert another movie file type MPG into a PowerPoint and see if that plays.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

If I am right, I think that the file that you are trying to play has to be in the same folder as the PowerPoint presentation. I could be wrong, tho...
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

You could take a look at THIS and see if that helps.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    If I am right, I think that the file that you are trying to play has to be in the same folder as the PowerPoint presentation. I could be wrong, tho...
    The file is in the same folder as the PowerPoint. The audio comes through fine, just no video.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
    You could take a look at THIS and see if that helps.
    I can have the client try this but I would rather find out what it is not working like it should. In my testing (since I do not use PowerPoint) all that much you should be able to just insert a video and it will prompt to play automatically or when clicked.

Here are (2) more instructionsexplaining how to make it run automatically.

ONE TWO
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Solved

After trying to help the customer over the phone I finally got the computer back in my hands and it turned out to be the video card driver for his AMD Radeon 4350 video card.

I had him uninstall and reinstall it but that didn't help and I had to uninstall it and use a driver sweeper program and then reinstall the latest driver and all seems to work again.

OK, that's pretty bizarre. I have to ask, how'd you diagnose it as a video issue? That would have been about the last thing I would have expected.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    OK, that's pretty bizarre. I have to ask, how'd you diagnose it as a video issue? That would have been about the last thing I would have expected.
    Well seeing as the video playback problem only happened in PowerPoint I narrowed it down to PowerPoint/Office settings being the issue or something with the Video and or Codecs. I started with the video card because uninstalling that and cleaning it was the most simple of the three to start with and I got lucky. I also noticed that Microsoft update installed a Video Driver recently that overwrote the ATI Drivers that were installed from the OEM which led me to think to try that. I thought simply uninstalling the software and removing the device manager and telling to remove the software/drivers would be enough. Apparently that was not the case because I had to use a driver sweeper to get rid of all those ATI specific DLLs and such.

If non of that worked I was going to move onto uninstalling Office and using the Cleanup Utility on that too. I am glad I didn't have to mess with codecs though. That can be a pain to clear up.