PC doesn't find hardware driver

Thread: PC doesn't find hardware driver

PC doesn't find hardware driver

I am not sure if this is the correct forum, but I am trying to find a way to copy the driver over from an older Dell computer, (Win XP Professional), to another Dell with same O/S, for my Sony IC PX-720 recorder. I have installed the SONY editor from the original CD, even downloaded latest version from SONY web site, but it does not find the hardware driver for it when plugged in. I plug the recorder in and the PC finds the recorder, "Sony IC recorder PX", but it doesn't find the hardware driver.
    The editor is installed on other computer and works and recognizes the recorder.
    Looking at the driver properties on that computer, I see the 2 driver names, located in Windows\system32, but when I search for the 2 files, I don't find them, even using search the hidden files. I would appreciate if I could get any possible help wit this problem and hopefully someone will have an answer. Thank you in advance for your help.

Welcome to WinDrivers. Installing drivers is more than just saving the driver somewhere and then plugging in the device. Conversely it's a lot more complex to try and extract a driver from an other OS to import to another PC. The best route to take is the proper way to install drivers. Below are links on how to install drivers.

http://www.ehow.com/how_4592175_inst...indows-xp.html

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000834.htm

Granted if you already did all of this either you have the wrong drivers, or the port the device is plugged in to doesn't work, or you need updated drivers for your motherboard, or the device may be faulty.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Sony ICD PX-720

Thank you for your replies and help.
    Yes, the recorder is a Sony ICD PX-720. The problem is that when I plug the Sony recorder into one of my computers at home, Win XP Professional, it recognizes it, and shows the hardware found info on the bottom right of the screen, it says new hardware found, Sony IC recorder PX. Then the wizard pops up and when I select find driver, and select ok to go on internet, and l also select the CD location with the original CD, it searches, but finds no drivers. The only driver on the CD is a Win 2k driver, and the only other thing on the CD is for the Sony Digital Editor 3 program. The links that you sent are all things I checked, and the Sony link you sent was for the online download for the Sony Digital Editor program, current version which I downloaded and installed, still no luck.
    When I hook the recorder to another Dell I have at home, also with Win XP Professional it recognizes it and finds the driver and it works fine. I also hooked it to my my laptop, with Windows 7 Professional and it finds the driver also with no problem. That's why I wanted to copy the driver from the other Dell since it works on that. All the files I use are on the the Dell that it it won't work on and need the recorder to work on that computer. Please let me know if that clarifies anything and if there is a way to copy and use the driver from the other Dell or if you have any other possible solutions. Thanks again for your help.

Don't see my last reply to edit, but I wanted to add that I did try all the above, and the Sony link is to download the digital editor program, which I did download and install and there is no driver in that and it didn't work either. The the computer in question, a Dell XPS 600 does recognize the recorder as a "Sony IC recorder PX" but it can't find drivers for it. I have another Dell XPS computer also with Win XP Professional and it does recognize the recorder and installs it with no problem, as does my laptop with Win 7 Professional. Just the one. That's why I wanted to try and copy the drivers from the working one and install them in the one that doesn't find the driver. Please let me know if you might have any other possible ideas if there is no way to copy the drivers. Thanks again for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    if you already did all of this either you have the wrong drivers, or the port the device is plugged in to doesn't work, or you need updated drivers for your motherboard,
    Take your pick of the above. If it works on everything else but the one machine then chances are the problem lies with the machine itself. There may even be a possiblity the OS on the machine it's not working on is corrupted. Taking drivers from a machine it works on won't do you any justice other than to show you how hard it is to reverse engineer a driver installation.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Have you tried a manual 'Add Hardware' install ?

There should be a .inf file in that Sony download or on your install disk that needs to be 'pointed at'.

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true

1 thought: try connecting a cat5 crossover cable ( not a straight through cable ) from network port to network port on the two computers and they should see each other easily. Make an account on both with the same name that is administarative, and make sure you enable "Show all hidden files and folders" and uncheck "Hide extensions for known file types" and finally uncheck "hide protected system files" on the machines. If you know the names of the files needed, do a search and ensure that you choose advanced seach options and search hidden files and folders.

If that bears no fruit, I would then go to the computer that needs the driver loaded, click on device manager, and double click the device that needs the driver. Choose update driver, and point it to the secondary computers' "C" drive, Windows folder, and finally INF folder. The files are probably going to be in there, the system folder of Windows, the System32 folder, etc.

I usually use a U.S.B. hard drive reader and just plug it in that way, but this costs less to try. Good luck!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz