I have a problem. I have a Dell computer desktop with Windows XP SP2 installed on it. I have recently tried to burn files to a CD-R on my computer but it has not worked.

The first time, I tried with Nero 9 StartSmart Essentials and selected up the file I wanted to burn. I clicked on Burn and was prompted to load the CD. I put the CD in the loader and clicked on Load. Nothing happened, and instead, after a few seconds, the loader opened again and I was prompted again to Load the CD!

The second time, I used CDBurnerXP. I did the same thing, selected the file and clicked on Burn. I looked on the icon that presented itself, and it showed that the CD was not recognized as writable!

If I am not wrong, CD-Rs are supposed to be writable, right? Anyways, I started looking around for help on the Internet. I got the idea of checking my CD/DVD drives. In Device Manager, under DVD/CD-ROM drives, the following are listed:

Philips DVD +- RW DVD8701
SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615

In addition, I noticed that there are couple of yellow question marks and yellow icons with exclamation points next to the following:

Network Controller
SM Bus Controller
Video Controller
Video Controller (VGA Controller)

Do you think that the preceding issues might be affecting my CD/DVD drives?
Is there a way I can get a new driver?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.