trying to install win95 and 98
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: trying to install win95 and 98

trying to install win95 and 98

I recentlly purchased the old win95 disk and 98 disk. I bought an external floppy drive usb hoping I could install from there as I thought all I needed to do was boot up to the proper screen and then install from the cd. However, I get an error message when I begin to install right after agreeing to their copyright statement saying that setup can not write to the setup disk ie floppy drive. I know this is because I'm using a usb drive, but is there a work around?
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

If I recall making a bootable win98 iso is the answer. Thing is I haven't done that in 12 years.

UPDATE: Try this out for making a bootable Win98 CD
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; February 12th, 2012 at 04:05 PM. Reason: Found helpful input
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Also, note you will not be able to install either onto a SATA hard drive in AHCI mode, (or for that matter a large IDE drive) and Windows 95 will crash on a CPU any faster than 350MHz for AMD or 550MHz for Intel (typically). But most modern hardware is not going to have drivers available for Win95/98 anyway. That and limited memory handling capacity probably means it's simplest to experiment with 95/98 on an old clunker that does have a floppy drive.
    Last edited by Platypus; February 12th, 2012 at 04:47 PM.

What I always do is boot from a bootable floppy with generic cd drivers, and once into Dos I type cd\ (enter) MD win98 (enter) and then d: (enter) and cd\win98 (enter). Then I type copy. c:\win98 (enter). ( or copy *.* c:\win98 ) Once this is done, I change back to the C drive by typing C: (enter) then cd\win98 (enter) and finally setup. This assumes the drive is formatted, and you have the windows 98 cdrom in the disk drive.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Thanks for all the help something here will qwork I am sure.
    HP Laptop 6830s with 4 Gbs ram and a 250gb HDD I run Vista business 64bit. But I have some old computers too.

There was a bug on the win95 setup floppies - it asked you if you wanted to make a password reset floppy, if you said yes, it promptly overwrote the installation diskette. Make sure your disks are set to read only (or use tape).
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Once again thanks for all the intrest. I made a cd bootable with win98 install on it and that helped get to the page where it said I have a problem with the HDD. It is an old pata but is 120gb. Maybe too large. I formated and patitioned (2) 2gb partitions but it says there is something wrong. Is this because the drive is too big?. Scan disk found no problems.
    Thanks

Windows XP can only see as high as an 80GB drive pre SP1. Windows 98 I believe could only see as high as a 40GB drive, depending on the version. Safest bet is to get your hands on a 20GB as I recall those were ok and the standard in the machines I built back then.
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandwich View Post
    Once again thanks for all the intrest. I made a cd bootable with win98 install on it and that helped get to the page where it said I have a problem with the HDD. It is an old pata but is 120gb. Maybe too large. I formated and patitioned (2) 2gb partitions but it says there is something wrong. Is this because the drive is too big?. Scan disk found no problems.
    Thanks
    If your drive can be jumpered down to 32 gig and then create 1 4gb partition, and leave the rest alone, you should be ok. Did you fdisk with the 98 boot disk or something else? If it was something else, that may be the problem.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

I made a cd bootable with win98 install on it and that helped get to the page
    Last edited by NooNoo; February 15th, 2012 at 10:39 AM. Reason: removed spam links

Quote Originally Posted by crekkerpulian View Post
    I made a cd bootable with win98 install on it and that helped get to the page

Giving details that help or are pertinent to the situation would be better.
    One Script to find them.

Wonderful

I have a good working install of win98. Device manager has no icons and I am on the net and have a printer. Thanks to everyone here. The iso image was the answer!

I am now trying to install win95 on another old computer. I have an instalation and am able to boot, but there are lots of driver problems. It is an old Dell dimension 8200 originally came with xp home edition 256mb (upgraded to 1gb) of ram and a 30gb Hdd. I put a fresh install of xp on it and am now booting off a separate 120gb HDD (Newegg for 25.00usd) with 95 on that. I had to downgrade the ram to 512mb or I got out of memory errors. Now I have had to disable several things thru DM in safe mode to get rid of windows protection errors.
    The MB is an intell chipset It has a 8201ba ultra ata controller. I am trying to find MB drivers that will work with win95. Most places that I go to offer to scan my computer for a fee. They have made windrivers obsolete. I hate that!!! Thanks everyone!!

win98

Oh Yeah! I had to format C:again? Something had gone wrong!?????
    It is now 2gb.

Those driver scans are not necessarily a good thing.

Windows 95 will probably have a problem understanding your sound if it's onboard. 128mb RAM is almost infinite as far as win 95 is concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    Those driver scans are not necessarily a good thing.

Windows 95 will probably have a problem understanding your sound if it's onboard. 128mb RAM is almost infinite as far as win 95 is concerned.
    To further support NooNoo, if it's a free driver scanner it's going to put junk software on your PC, if costs money you paid for fake drivers support that will never work. If the manufacturer hasn't supplied the drivers for your version of windows there is a good chance they can't be found unless someone hand made drivers, at which point google is your best friend and cross your fingers.

I was blessed with finding the sidewinder software and drivers made by a person for Win7 64bit and that was a wild shot in the dark.
    One Script to find them.