Cisco MCS 7800 CallManager Server Error Light

Thread: Cisco MCS 7800 CallManager Server Error Light

Cisco MCS 7800 CallManager Server Error Light

Anyone know what the error lights mean on a Cisco MCS78xx series server running call manager or unity? I cannot seem to find anything in Cisco's support and we have one with a red light. The symbol next to the light that is red looks like some sort of heart beat monitor wave with a box around it. The same symbol is right below that without the box and is green.

I am thinking it has something do with the health of the server but it does not indicate what the issue is or could be.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

It is the health LED if I have understood you correctly and it means it's broke

System-Health LEDs
    The Cisco MCS 7825-H1 Unified CallManager Appliance provides system-health LEDs and unit-identification lights on the front and back of the server to ease the identification of system issues. When an internal component fails, this indication is made on an internal-component LED (amber) and on the front panel of the Cisco MCS 7825-H1 Unified CallManager Appliance. If the item is serviceable by removing the hood, as in the case of a fan failure, the internal-health LED illuminates. If no failures have occurred, the system-health LED is green. If the failure is critical and has caused the system to shut down, the LED is red.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    It is the health LED if I have understood you correctly and it means it's broke
    I guess I am confused to why there are two of them. What is the difference between the health LED with the box around it and the one with no box around it. I have looked up and down the health logs and the server appears to be running OK so I am unsure to what has failed.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

How about a nice high res photo?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Well after looking it all over the server appeared to be fine so I just rebooted it and the light went away.

Annoying fix, but effective.

Annoying fix, but effective.
    Yeah... still have no idea what the difference is between the two health warning lights.

If you let me have the right model number, will go after the manual for you.

If you let me have the right model number, will go after the manual for you.
    It is a Cisco MCS-7835. I have already went through the manual and Cisco's support site and even consulted Cisco TAC because the device is under continued support since it is the lifeline to our phone system. The manual did not describe the lights individually and only gave a general statement about the warning lights saying red indicates an issue which has caused the server to go down. When I called CISCO TAC so they could do remote diagnosis they basically said Red is bad but and that is a health indicator. Going through all the health data everything appeared to be fine except the server has been up for 442 days. They suggested we reboot it which is something we avoid since it could interrupt phone calls.

Of course if you can find something more specific I am always eager to find out but I have "googled" fingers off trying to find specific information on that.

Specific info... no, reading what's actually there yes.

When an internal component fails, this indication is made on an internal component LED (amber) and on the front panel
    of the Cisco MCS 7835-H1. If the item is serviceable without removing the server hood, as in the case of a redundant power supply, the external
    health LED illuminates.
    The two indicate two different sorts of failure. One assumes the health led encased in a box is the internal one. So based on your original post, you have to remove the lid to find out what went wrong. The other one is for failure that doesn't require removal of the hood.

The annoying thing is what ever it was was transitory but might not be so quick to clear next time. Given the info it could have been as simple as the fan having a hiccup.