How do I start from scratch?

Thread: How do I start from scratch?

I want to format my desk and start my linux installation from scratch. How do I do this from the command line? How do I go to my C drive and then go to my root and then format my desk using linux command line commands?

http://www.linux.org/ has online, free, 'classes' about Linux.

It may be a good way to go.

Xarzu, if you're new to Linux, why do you want to deal with the command line and the minutiae of configuring the system? You would be a lot smarter to begin with Ubuntu, for instance, and once you're familiar with the GUI, you can explore Linux in more detail.

My first computer ran CP/M and the next 3 or 4 I owned ran MS-DOS before I ever migrated to Windows 3.x. So trust me when I say that it is easier to learn an operating system if you start with a graphical interface and work your way into the details of the OS from there.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Xarzu, if you're new to Linux, why do you want to deal with the command line and the minutiae of configuring the system? You would be a lot smarter to begin with Ubuntu, for instance, and once you're familiar with the GUI, you can explore Linux in more detail.

My first computer ran CP/M and the next 3 or 4 I owned ran MS-DOS before I ever migrated to Windows 3.x. So trust me when I say that it is easier to learn an operating system if you start with a graphical interface and work your way into the details of the OS from there.
    So, I have a Linux for Dummies book that came with a Linux disk. I started reading the book and got a chapter or two into it when I (first) started nodding off and (second) realized I would need to actually use the disk on a computer and follow the instructions for installation, etc.

Well, being the perpetually broke person that I am with many mouths to feed, I had a target computer in mind. It was a bit older, but was a good candidate for my learning project. But I needed a KVM switch. (Refer to perpetually broke status.) So, by the time I got a KVM switch, there were pieces that had been canned for another computer in the house.

Well, about a year ago I bought a brandy-new lappie and had intended for my existing XP box to turn into a Linux learning center. I still have good intentions, I'm nearly at a point I can begin.

Why don't I? Well, I'm wondering if I should download a different version of Linux (this Ubuntu I've heard tell of) and may start with that. And then there is that whole time issue. If you're still reading, I know you're wondering what the question is...

Should I stick with the disk that came with my book so I can follow along in the book as I learn? Or are there enough similarities between Linux and Ubuntu that I could download that and still learn from my book as I go?
    When you’re left out of the club, you know it, when you’re in the club, you don’t see what the problem is.

It depends on what version and type of linux your for dummies guide is for and how old it is. If it's just a year old it may be relevant to the kernel distribution.

If the guide is too old then I suggest going for trying out Ubuntu as it's popular, has a lot of support and is quite user friendly. It is a variant of the Debian kernel and if you have a Debian linux guide it could come in handy for you.

In my experience it's been faster and easier to learn just by installing the software and looking for answers online. Of the many books I bought they were useless as an absolute beginner but they came in handy when I got to the novice level since it was easier to know what it was talking about and to search out what I knew I needed.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    ...In my experience it's been faster and easier to learn just by installing the software and looking for answers online. ....
    Yes, everything about computers is best learned at the keyboard and not through a book or user manuals or whatever. I have never been a big reader of tech manuals to begin with. Talk about a snore fest!

I think my book is several years old, at least. So maybe not very relevant.

Thanks for you help.
    When you’re left out of the club, you know it, when you’re in the club, you don’t see what the problem is.

Linux can be very nitty-gritty, as I've learned by experience... sometimes things work, sometimes stuff just explodes for no reason, and usually makes me want to do this:

There are actually user-friendly distributions out there, which include Debian and Ubuntu, and require very little manipulation to work (in 85% of cases). If you're a newbie, starting with Debian or Ubuntu might be helpful.
    Last edited by TrekCaptainUSA; January 11th, 2012 at 05:24 PM.