How did you settle upon your WinDrivers nickname?
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How did you settle upon your WinDrivers nickname?

How did you settle upon your WinDrivers nickname?

I'll start:

In my mis-spent youth, I was quite the dare taker. There were few feats of stupidity that I was not only unafraid of, but eager to try, hoping to impress my sordid cohorts. I guess it was more testosterone driven than anything else, so my friends all called me "Guts". When I first got online with "shudder" AOL, the nick "Guts" was taken, as was "Guts 1", "Guts2", etc. Exasperated, I tried "Guts3d" and lo and behold, it was available. My fate was sealed. Top that one, oh Fuzzy Ferrit!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Well typically I have a knack for creating names. I got lazy with Star Wars Galaxies and let the system generate a name for me. It was unique, and people liked it, not to mention I got mildly famous on the server for founding one of the more notorious and honorable PVP guilds. Since then I use the handle for people to find me with and because I like the name.

The avatar icon I have is not in relation to the game. Though I have pondered changing it to my old character's image or my old SWG forum image.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

When this new fangled thing called the internet came along and the old bulletin boards were dying and prestel had long since gone the way of phone couplers... we used a thing called Compuserve... There was never a need to go outside into the real internet, Compuserve gave me everything I needed - my email, help and support, news etc.

One day I had a problem with my computer that I couldn't solve and decided to try the chat at Windrivers. It required a user name... the teletubbies had recently launched on the BBC and NooNoo seemed appropriate since I was looking after both children and machinery.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    I'll start:

In my mis-spent youth, I was quite the dare taker. There were few feats of stupidity that I was not only unafraid of, but eager to try, hoping to impress my sordid cohorts. I guess it was more testosterone driven than anything else, so my friends all called me "Guts". When I first got online with "shudder" AOL, the nick "Guts" was taken, as was "Guts 1", "Guts2", etc. Exasperated, I tried "Guts3d" and lo and behold, it was available. My fate was sealed. Top that one, oh Fuzzy Ferrit!
    Heh thats a good one Guts. LOLOLOL
    Just after BBS's went the way of the DODO bird and we started
    online with a 386 and a 33.6 modem, I got good at "finding"
    things on line. I think my nic at that time was cobra or some such.
    Anyway this one particular time my brother was looking for something online,
    I forgot what but he asked me to help. I found it pretty fast and his comment was,
    Your like a fooking ferrit when you go looking for stuff.
    So I thought what an awesome name. I took it and it stuck.
    I still have my original email with ferrit at the start that I have
    had for i cant remember how many years
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

When I first got online with "shudder" AOL, the nick "Guts" was taken, as was "Guts 1", "Guts2", etc. Exasperated, I tried "Guts3d" and lo and behold, it was available.
    An AOL handle? Maybe I should nickname you Captain AOL!
    One Script to find them.

Hrm... There were a lot of foolish people who started with the dreaded AO-Hell, as the price was enticing. And everywhere you went, they handed you a floppy with their software on it.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Hrm... There were a lot of foolish people who started with the dreaded AO-Hell, as the price was enticing. And everywhere you went, they handed you a floppy with their software on it.
    Well I was very subtly referencing Corinthians 13:11 "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things."

Referring to the fact that that anyone in IT immediately put a crowbar between them and AOL once they could move past it.

Just poking a jab at ya is all
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    Well I was very subtly referencing Corinthians 13:11 "When I was a child, I spake as a child, I felt as a child, I thought as a child: now that I am become a man, I have put away childish things."

Referring to the fact that that anyone in IT immediately put a crowbar between them and AOL once they could move past it.

Just poking a jab at ya is all
    Heh heh! No problemo! Every once in a while at work I will say " I miss Comet Cursor " or " Dial up wasn't so slow..." or even " But I liked clippy the paperclip helper" just to get everyone arguing.

Hehehehehe Guts3D
    I was Oh so fortunate. We never had any AOL here ever
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Yeah I started with AOL as well and even became a beta tester until Version 7.0 and then realized how much it changed files in Windows and caused so many problems. I came by my nick name after hearing so many people refer to people in Arizona as Zonies, so I thought why not since I'm here.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

My handle is basically the one i use EVERYWHERE (There are a couple 'Dude111's out there THAT ARENT ME though)

Talking

It was a name i had since 1998 online... ma'et was the godess of truth justice and the new world order my name is margaret .. and if you take the first two and last two letters of my name you get ma'et ..

and that's what i stand for

the twist is "may yet"
    My Photography = Images of Hervey Bay photography by Maggie Macleod

my facebook to chat and interact and learn about ME
    http://www.facebook.com/mayet666

Because my name is Bob and I Rock!!
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Geldof? Dylan? Seger? Marley? Plant? Gotta be one of them!

I took up this name when Delta Force 2 came out and I started gaming and joined a clan for a while. We all had to have animal names.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind