Mmmm Raspberry Pi, a treat for the masses

Thread: Mmmm Raspberry Pi, a treat for the masses

Thumbs up Mmmm Raspberry Pi, a treat for the masses

The Raspberry Pi was released recently and seems very promising in my eyes. It's a motherboard the size of a laptop hard drive, has a built in processor, memory, video, a HDMI port, 2 USB ports, an ethernet port, and a micro SD slot. It is designed to be hooked up and used on the fly. The intended OS is a linux variant though I'm sure if you got creative you could install an already existing OS on it with the right tweaks. I just got offered an order slot since these little guys sold out the first hours of their release. Check out more at www.raspberrypi.org and At CNN.com

One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Next there will be a breadboard kit to build your own!
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

??? Where can I plug in my 5 1/4" floppy drive?
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I already thought of my first applications to it, installing a SNES Emulator and having it as a portable gaming system. The other idea is experimenting with figuring out how to put WinXP on it.

Just had another thought, to steal a suggestion on the CNN threads. Make a cyberdeck out of it. That would take some serious soldering and spare parts acquisition though.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; March 3rd, 2012 at 04:04 PM.
    One Script to find them.

Link to preset OSes Well at least they made it easy. Just I'm sad I really was hoping to have Ubuntu in that list. I learned a bit about trying to get XP installed and since it uses an ARM processor it would be hard to accomplish without an emulator and at that point why bother. I may try for giggles anyway though to put in a super stripped down WinXP on it or Win2k

And......
    I randomly came across the BeagleBoard to which I say I wish I had the funds to get one of these too.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; March 6th, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
    One Script to find them.