Kicking back with Windows 7
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kicking back with Windows 7

Kicking back with Windows 7

Got a Dell D620 for a ridiculous price with Windows 7 Ultimate and I plan to spend quite a bit of today using it, as we here in the 'Burgh got 18" of snow and we are getting more today and tomorrow. Lucky me, I stocked up last week on frozen pizzas, Cheez-its, Diet Coke and Angus burgers.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Have fun! New toys are alway good.

It is my pure and virtuous heart that
    gives me the strength of ten!

It's like the Blizzard of '96 all over again, except this time around I didn't spend three days stuck in NYC, and then have to go back to Northern Virginia and D.C.; an area where "snow removal" seems to be more of a theoretical concept than a reality.

Streets in Manhattan were cleared within 24 hours. In the District and most of the surrounding area I was still getting stuck 2 weeks later.

Windows 7

I must say that windows 7 is nice. I installed it on my laptop, the pro version since I'm saving ultimate for my personal PC, and it was sweet. What drivers it didn't have I just used the XP/VISTA ones and it did its magic and blamo!

So far my only complaint has been it not liking the laptops video card. Rates its a 1.0 Considering the age of the laptop thats not really a complaint even.
    Murphy's Law: If it can be messed up it will get messed up.

Windows 7 does rock. The only issue I have read about so far is laptop battery time.
    Just because I wanted to see I upgraded a vista home premium to 7 home premium.
    It was a fairly clean install and not too old. I cannot believe how smooth that was.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    I must say that windows 7 is nice. I installed it on my laptop, the pro version since I'm saving ultimate for my personal PC, and it was sweet. What drivers it didn't have I just used the XP/VISTA ones and it did its magic and blamo!

So far my only complaint has been it not liking the laptops video card. Rates its a 1.0 Considering the age of the laptop thats not really a complaint even.
    Win7 gives consistently lousy Aero performance ratings to all on-board video. I have a Gigabyte board with an on-board Radeon 4200 video chip that scores something like a 4.9 for gaming and like 3.0 for Aero and Business graphics. The same board with a 4870 gets 6.9 for both gaming and Aero. And I thought Vista was harsh on on-board video!

So far, upgrading to Win7 has been the most painless upgrade I've done in years. Even Virtual XP works very well. About the only glitch I've hit so far was with a client who is still running Acrobat 5.0 (I know, I know) Acrobat ran fine but consistently generated a timeout error trying to scan from the client's Canon iR3300. oh well. At least got 'em to dump Acrobat 5. At last.

LOL @ "Diet Coke"......Why diet ? It's not compatible with the other junk (Burgers, Pizza and windows 7) Hahahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoper View Post
    LOL @ "Diet Coke"......Why diet ? It's not compatible with the other junk (Burgers, Pizza and windows 7) Hahahahaha
    He sure does have a point there Guts3d. The only way I see it being compatile with Win7 is if it was the Windows 7 N variants or if you really want to trim the fat Windows 7 Lite.

By the way I love Windows 7. I've been enjoying tweaking it to make programs work that are outdated. It's not much of a change or work, you just have to understand what the older programs are looking for. Though there are some cases where a program just isn't going to work and those are the ones that windows will tell you upfront on thei install that it'll never work.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by HipHoper View Post

I switched to Diet Coke a few years back to trim off a bit of excess Gut, and am currently working on becoming Guts2D. My new problem is that my better half is a great cook!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I think Windows 7 will be what Windows XP is now in a few years. Pretty much everyone will have. Most of the people I know avoided Vista or had me help reinstall XP back on their system.

I've installed Win 7 on over six computers now. I'd gotten in the habit of installing drivers after an XP install that I was at a loss when I didn't need to do it on Win 7. Had a driver for just about everything.

The only one I worried about was an old wireless card in a laptop. It was so old it only had a Win2000 driver. Win 7 still accepted it and has had no issues with it. One nice OS in my opinion.
    Last edited by ajkochev; February 26th, 2010 at 04:51 PM.

I have installed Win7 32 bit on quite a few computers, both desktops and laptops, and have had the pleasant surprise that 7 found all the drivers more than once. Makes me smile!

Nothing better then first boot to desktop and realizing you dont have to go looking for drivers.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

So true! I have done about a dozen more installs, and I'd guess-timate that Win 7 found 90% of the drivers, if not all.

So true! I have done about a dozen more installs, and I'd guess-timate that Win 7 found 90% of the drivers, if not all.

Yes, and how about not having to spend a day and a half loading security patches, service packs and assorted updates?