SBS2003 Standard - hard drive missing
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: SBS2003 Standard - hard drive missing

SBS2003 Standard - hard drive missing

I have a SBS 2003 Standard SP1 set of disks and am trying to install it on a 160 GB drive, I tried earlier with a 500 GB drive and got the same results. The issue is once the first disk completes and I reboot the machine claims there is no bootable media if I take the CD out. When I go into the bios it says the drive is a 0MB drive. If I opt to select bootable media on start up the drive isn't even listed. However I can reinstall to the disk again and I even had ubuntu see and install to the drive last night. I don't understand what is going on with the install for SBS 2003.

Also prior to the install of SBS the bios saw the drive at its normal size and the machine would boot from it. I tested today and after installing ubuntu the machine booted from that drive as well. So i'm fairly certain it's the SBS install causing strangeness. Further note, this is a brand new 160 GB drive, I still had it in the original packaging when I installed it on this machine.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; February 23rd, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

SATA or Raid or AHCI? You need to install the drivers much the same way as you do for XP.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

It's just a single drive, no raid configurations and the drive is IDE.
    One Script to find them.

And the bios is set to ide or SATA?
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    It's just a single drive, no raid configurations and the drive is IDE.
    Is it an older machine with the 137GB limit for IDE by any chance?
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I don't think it gave me an option for choosing what type of hard drive I'm using, it looks like it only has an autodetect. I believe the unit is a 2005 model. Sadly I'm at work so I will have to wait until I get home. Though I am curious about the size limit as well since I thought I was mistaken when I saw the system formatting and could have sworn it saw the 500 as a 50.
    One Script to find them.

A 2005 model should have no issue with large drives. If it were 2001 or 2002 then maybe...
    I would try a full reset to defaults, drain power on mobo (unplug for 3-5 minutes) and then boot to a PE disk to double-check.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I'd have to consider the motherboard as a likely culprit. I've now encountered two computers that wouldn't run Windows without locking up, or let me re-install Windows (even with memory swapped) but would run Ubuntu very well, thank you. My first experience with this was several years ago, but I had a repeat about a year ago. And, no, I have no idea precisely what the mechanism is.

will do, as a side comment, this is all in an effort to build my own home file server and at the same time be practical training in the use of GPOs (which I have no idea how to manage or start managing yet). So if you have any guides on GPOs, Logon Scripts, and other things to do with AD that help manage users, what they see and what they can do please feel free to inform me as I'm tossed into the fire with learning/doing this as I do a redeploy of my office's computers. Yes I have co-workers who know how to do it but they want me to learn on my own with as little bothering of them as possible.....

I'd have learned on my own eventually but when it's a rush project it kinda sucks.

P.S.
    I started using PowerGUI a few months back since it has neat functions that allowed auditing reports, it has the ability to work as an enhanced AD/Exchange console, I just haven't mastered it yet. It's a fun utility that is free to use.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; February 23rd, 2012 at 11:54 AM.
    One Script to find them.

I do very little work with servers, and anytime I deal with GPOs, it's usually for a specific problem, and I can find the instructions on Technet Noo, Guts, Ceebee, and BobIROC would be a lot more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I do very little work with servers, and anytime I deal with GPOs, it's usually for a specific problem, and I can find the instructions on Technet Noo, Guts, Ceebee, and BobIROC would be a lot more useful.
    Technet is a good source but I got confused with the topic for SBS 2003. If the notes for 2000 work for 2003 I may be able to work it since that is an extremely detailed topic.

I'm not new to knowing how GPOs work but I am new to administering/changing them.
    One Script to find them.

The key to a good set of GPO's is to sit down with a piece of paper and draw out who gets what, rather like a database design (well it actually is). I find mindmaps a useful start point. This will form the basis of your Company Security Policy (which is a written document).

Having decided who belongs to which group(s) and what their restrictions are, you can then see whether you have conflicting requirements for a single person and therefore whether you need to redesign, add a group or even take one away.

Walk through your design on paper by asking questions like can person X access [insert drive map/software here] and does that person need to?

Once you have a clear idea of what you want, you then set about creating the GPOs to support your "company policy". As you have said, editing GPOs is the easy bit... designing the underlying requirements is not.

Thanks for the tip Noo, I didn't think of that and that's a great place to start. I guess I wasn't clear I know the methodology behind GPOs I just never have had to create/edit one so I don't know what or how to do when I get to that part. I trust you when you say it's easy I just need to know how it's done so I can get it right when I arrive at that part of the task.
    One Script to find them.

Interesting post, Noo! Personally, I find setting up GPOs to be very counter-intuitive. I don't think the syntax is either obvious or clear. But then, the first thing I learned from my first programming course was that I'd rather be eviscerated than be a programmer. Call it a conceptual block.

This should be helpful - particularly how the GPO and Active Directory interact. Now with SBS it has a bunch of pre made groups but even then, if you don't have a clear idea of who is allowed (or not allowed) to do what, you cannot build a set of GPOs that work with your company structure.