raise the record volume level input?

Thread: raise the record volume level input?

Hybrid View

raise the record volume level input?

Do you know how I can raise the vol level of my internal mic input?
    And yes I've already got the volume inputs and outputs up to max in Volume Control/Audio Properties.

This is for my durable dinosaur;
    Dell 4600i desktop w/xp 2 and integrated sound NOT a separate sound-card.
    -SoundMax Integrated digital audio
    -Legacy audio drivers

When I'm trying record or to use Song ID;Tunatic or Midoni, Tunatic says "mic signal too weak" and Midoni records nothing when I run their mic-record/input check. I also adjusted Tunatic mic input. My iTunes works/records fine but I need more than iTunes.

I just recently lost all audio and had to restore it but before all my sound trouble began (it all started right after I used Skype...why?), I was able to raise record volume w/no problems.

FYI: i've lost and restored all sound/audio in the past, downloading and installing needed drivers (audio,graphics and video drivers) to fix this. When doing this in the past (around 4yrs ago), the last and final driver I always had to install was this crazy Realtek AC97 driver which ALWAYS freaked out my computer....but it would eventually install and all audio would be back to normal giving me full control of "record volume levels" and even access to my SoundMax eq as well!!
    Except now losing all audio and restoring it all again (MUCH more difficult this time!!) I've discovered that Dell/Intel have changed the original additional graphics and video drivers so crazy Realtek no longer installs....??

Since this most recent audio loss and restore I had to research and get help w/how to fix and restore my audio (thanks to bookworm at SoftwareTips&Tricks,Falconattack at Major Geeks and NooNoo at Windrivers !!), while doing this I learned pretty quickly how awful Realtek AC97 is so I'm glad to be rid of this driver but what do I do now (besides buying a new computer, obviously) to get more control again of my sound levels and eq?
    Is there ANYTHING I could do to get my record input up higher?
    Any solution???

Thanks

If you have the tick box in your microphone properties along the lines of mic boost you can increase the mic input. Click advanced in your volume control on the record side or control panel, sound and audio devices, click on volume under your mic and have a look there

Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Thanks anyway but as I mentioned in first post re this; "I've already got the volume inputs and outputs up to max in Volume Control/Audio Properties". Which of course includes mic boost but thanks again for your kind efforts to help.

I did sort of find a (probably) temp solution. I found some Soundmax volume levels control panel called "SoundMAX Control Panel, Version 5.2". It doesn't seem to want to work naturally/normally with my existing SoundMax Integrated digital audio but I've somehow made it work w/my Sndmx stuff ....?

When searching for these kinds of sound problems all roads lead to me needing to install (again) that psycho audio driver "Realtek AC'97" but as I've mentioned, in the past (4yrs ago'ish) when I did re-install the RltkAC97 my Dell 4600 used to ALWAYS freaks out but it would eventually (and reluctantly) install the RltkAC97. But now my Dell just freaks out even more and entirely rejects Realtek AC'97 driver and then causing me to lose ALL sound again (also messing up scrolling on any/all pages) and needing to re-install basic drivers just to get sound back

I'd love a solution this!!

You could invest in a $10 sound card - any cmedia based one will do and use it for your microphone, alternatively get a usb mic.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Only $10? i had no idea it was so cheap. I'lll get one and install it. Any you reccomend with "Ye Olde Dell 4600" desktop? Thx!

One that is certified for XP... turn off the old sound card in bios after removing the drivers you have installed... reboot at least twice before installing the cmedia card and drivers.

Personally, I'd think about spending $20-$30 and buying a USB headset. You'll get a lot better performance and sound quality than going through most sound cards. Logitech makes good headsets in this price range as do Microsoft, and (I almost hate to say it) Rosewill. Plug 'em in, load the driver, and you're good to go. Hardware in this range is actually pretty similar, but an inline volume control/mute switch is nice to have.