Need sp2 and 3, help!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Need sp2 and 3, help!

Need sp2 and 3, help!

Im trying to upgrade an old Toshiba laptop to xp sp 2 and 3, but whatever I dl from MS or here comes up as "files corrupted" or "cannot reach server".
    Can anyone help? Thanks in advance!

what about downloading it on another computer and then bringing the installer via usb or CD over to the toshiba?
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

thx, tried that several times. From what Im reading here perhaps the old RAM chips are bad?

It could be that or a corrupted OS. What's the history of the machine?
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

BTW MS has the Network version of SP2. It tells us to go to the Update page for the Express version, but its never there! Sux!

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    It could be that or a corrupted OS. What's the history of the machine?
    Wifey bought it new back in 2003 or so, I reinstalled the OS from Toshiba to reformatt the HD. I did put Firefox browser in and works fine. Need sp2&3 to make the USB wireless card work. It only has 512MB of RAM, service pack 1.

Marcus, I'm confused. If you have just done a factory restore on the system and can't install SP2 or 3 either by a direct download or via Windows Update, I might agree with the memory issue. Of course, on a fresh installation of an old copy of XP, you might have to install a bunch of updates before Windows can successfully install the Service Packs. On the other hand, if this is an installation that's been in place for a while, I'd suspect a malware infection.

Sorry, I'm unclear on your circumstances. Anytime you post a request for help on a tech support forum, it's good to take a deep breath and describe the problem from it's start. Basically, you need to spell the issue out for us in language a child would understand.

My best advice would be if you have re-installed a new copy of an older version of Windows, use Windows Update to install all the patches that are usually prerequisites to SP2 and 3. That can take a long time. In XP, Windows Update is available through the Help and Support menu.
    Last edited by slgrieb; March 24th, 2012 at 06:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Marcus, I'm confused. If you have just done a factory restore on the system and can't install SP2 or 3 either by a direct download or via Windows Update, I might agree with the memory issue. Of course, on a fresh installation of an old copy of XP, you might have to install a bunch of updates before Windows can successfully install the Service Packs. On the other hand, if this is an installation that's been in place for a while, I'd suspect a malware infection.

Sorry, I'm unclear on your circumstances. Anytime you post a request for help on a tech support forum, it's good to take a deep breath and describe the problem from it's start. Basically, you need to spell the issue out for us in language a child would understand.

My best advice would be if you have re-installed a new copy of an older version of Windows, use Windows Update to install all the patches that are usually prerequisites to SP2 and 3. That can take a long time. In XP, Windows Update is available through the Help and Support menu.
    Yes, thanks, it was fresh install of the original OS from 2002. Updates from MS wont work until I get to service pack 3..kind of self-defeating!

Again, the service pack 2 is available for IT pros and developers, I need sp2 for home which Im still searching for!

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus1960 View Post
    Again, the service pack 2 is available for IT pros and developers, I need sp2 for home which Im still searching for!
    Thanks! We're on the same page now. The IT Pros etc. download is a blanket update that works with all versions of XP including XP Home. You can use it to update any version of Windows XP. You don't need an "XP Home" version; this update will work for you. Yeah, the name doesn't make this clear.

You're absolutely right about problems connecting to the Windows Update site unless you have at least SP2 installed. Sorry, I just didn't understand the situation correctly.

Anyway, once you download and install the IT Pros version of the Service Pack, you should be able to install updates through Windows Update normally. The only difference between doing the Service Pack installations through Windows Update and the IT Pros version is that the IT Pros Service Pack is a larger, slower download because it covers multiple versions of XP. Same thing applies to the SP3 update.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Thanks! We're on the same page now. The IT Pros etc. download is a blanket update that works with all versions of XP including XP Home. You can use it to update any version of Windows XP. You don't need an "XP Home" version; this update will work for you. Yeah, the name doesn't make this clear.

You're absolutely right about problems connecting to the Windows Update site unless you have at least SP2 installed. Sorry, I just didn't understand the situation correctly.

Anyway, once you download and install the IT Pros version of the Service Pack, you should be able to install updates through Windows Update normally. The only difference between doing the Service Pack installations through Windows Update and the IT Pros version is that the IT Pros Service Pack is a larger, slower download because it covers multiple versions of XP. Same thing applies to the SP3 update.
    Thanks, SL. The thing I run into, and I tried 4 times, is during the sp2 pro install it fails, telling me "cannot reach the server". Wotta pain!

You guys seem pretty sharp, if anyone spots SP2 express please post a link, tks! Marcus

You guys seem pretty sharp, if anyone spots SP2 express please post a link, tks! Marcus
    Thanks for that vote of confidence. If you get error messages during the download, I'd suggest that you should go to your PC vendor's site and download any available updates for your motherboard's chipset and network adapter. If that doesn't help, you might need to discuss your connection issues with your ISP's support department.

Thanks, SL. The thing I run into, and I tried 4 times, is during the sp2 pro install it fails, telling me "cannot reach the server". Wotta pain!
    Marcus, can you clarify the above? You seem to be saying that you have downloaded a copy SP2 successfully, but when you try and install it, you have the cannot reach server message.

Thing is, if you have the IT Pro/Network version, it doesn't ask to go online. The point of the version is that it can be used offline so I have to ask what link did you use to download the service pack?

Have you copied SP2 to the C: drive of the laptop? It works best if you launch the setup from the drive on which it is supposed to be installed.

The other way to do this is to slipstream Service Pack 2 into your original XP disk. The process looks complicated, but if you follow these instructions one at a time you will be fine. Best to create the slipstreamed CD on a known good PC or laptop. I wouldn't use the laptop you are working on just incase there is something else going on there.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html