Starting from strach, installing Win XP

Thread: Starting from strach, installing Win XP

Starting from strach, installing Win XP

I bought used and old Dell Laptop Latitude D630 which was obviously fully formatted. Now I'm trying to install win XP on it but everything seems to fail. After "Setup is inspecting my computer" and when actual XP installations should start I just get blue screen with the error code "A Problem has been detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.... STOP: 0x0000007E.... pci.sys andress. "

Any clue what his could mean?

if you're certain the disk is in good condition I'm inclined to say you have a hardware issue. If you're lucky it's just the ram, however you'd have to test that to be sure. If it's not the ram I'll bet the motherboard is bad.

The office I'm at has 3 of those that I maintain monthly. Never had a problem with them taking a windows XP install.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

We had hundreds of those here, and they work well with XP, Vista, and windows 7 both 32 and 64 bit versions. I concur with Niclo's assessment, if you have a manufacturers disk ( I.E. not one a pal burned for you ) then I would suspect ram first, hard drive second. That particular model has ram under the keyboard and under a panel in the back, so be sure to check both. Also, take the battery out when loading it, or better yet, swap with another battery if available as I have seen those units do funny things with malfunctioning batteries. Good luck!
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

I'd agree that RAM is the most likely cause, and, unfortunately, it's difficult to test it reliably. If you run Memtest 86+ and the memory fails, that's usually definitive. Unfortunately you may run Memtest for many hours without a fail, but still have bad RAM.

Here is a good introduction to using Memtest 86+, though as I said earlier, I've seen many cases where modules have passed the diagnostics, but still turned out to be faulty. Let me emphasize that it's important to test modules individually to maximize your chances for reliable results.

So then, I would start by running a full drive diagnostic (not a quick test) to eliminate the hard drive as a source of failure. Hard drive tests are generally very reliable. Drive Fitness Test is a good diagnostic because it runs on all hard drives regardless of brand.

If the drive looks OK, then it's on to Memtest. Ideally, it's best to simply replace the modules, but even those of us in the biz don't always have the correct module on hand. Hopefully, a drive test and Memtest will point you in the right direction.
    Last edited by slgrieb; March 21st, 2012 at 05:20 PM.

If you google-> STOP: 0x0000007E and pci.sys

You'll find tons of friends with the same issue. Most common solution seems to be to slipstream at least SP2 with your XP cd.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post

You'll find tons of friends with the same issue. Most common solution seems to be to slipstream at least SP2 with your XP cd.

That's odd, as I have loaded Win XP Pro onto D630's with XP SP1 disks in the past and had no problem, but then I am using factory disks from Microsoft, not burned copies. After loading, I would add service packs through Microsoft Update. I have a D630 on my desk here at work, I think I'll give it a go with my ancient SP1 disk and let you know the outcome.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post

That explanation would only make sense if the user were trying to do a repair installation with a pre-SP2 disk on a computer that had SP2 or 3 installed. That sort of glitch has been a Windows "feature" for a long time.

However, there is no reason that doing a clean installation of Windows on a freshly formatted drive would generate this error, unless there were a hardware problem. I've been down this road many, many times. Certainly there are potential problems with the optical drive or the installation media, etc. but in my experience, about 95% of the time or more, it's baaad RAM.

As usual, Slgreib and Niclo are correct. I used a SP1 XP Pro disk and successfully loaded 32 bit XP onto my Dell® D630 with nary a glitch.

Looks like he went and paid for support at "FixYa"
    Found this link and it's dated 3 days ago. Pay for answers.com I mean FixYa.com
    So in my opinion we're looking at a low chance of finding out if we were right anyway.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    Looks like he went and paid for support at "FixYa"
    Found this link and it's dated 3 days ago. Pay for answers.com I mean FixYa.com
    So in my opinion we're looking at a low chance of finding out if we were right anyway.
    Of course we are right! There are no Bozos on this bus!

And a very nice bus it is indeed!!!!!!!
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Why do I always have to ride in the short bus???

Well someone needs to fill the seats .
    It would be a lonely bus if not.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

It gets lonely, and I hate wearing the helmet!

Bozos on this bus is a reference to the Firesign Theatre's I Think We're All Bozos on This Bus.

See also:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Firesign_Theatre

http://firesigntheatre.com/funway.html

Just ain't no damn culcher no more!