Need sp2 and 3, help! - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Need sp2 and 3, help!

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    Marcus, can you clarify the above? You seem to be saying that you have downloaded a copy SP2 successfully, but when you try and install it, you have the cannot reach server message.

Thing is, if you have the IT Pro/Network version, it doesn't ask to go online. The point of the version is that it can be used offline so I have to ask what link did you use to download the service pack?

Have you copied SP2 to the C: drive of the laptop? It works best if you launch the setup from the drive on which it is supposed to be installed.

The other way to do this is to slipstream Service Pack 2 into your original XP disk. The process looks complicated, but if you follow these instructions one at a time you will be fine. Best to create the slipstreamed CD on a known good PC or laptop. I wouldn't use the laptop you are working on just incase there is something else going on there.
    I downloaded sp2 directly to the laptop. I also made a CDROM copy on my brand new Compaq PC and ran it in the laptop. Now I get a "file corrupted" message. This is for the sp2 Pro program.
    Could I have some bad RAM chips?

Bad download or a bad burn, both of which can be caused by bad RAM or bad blocks on the hard drive, inconsistent power supply or even corrupt page file. I always download load the service packs on a known good machine and then transfer via usb/cd and then run it from the hard drive.

I suggest you use http://www.memtest.org/ to test the memory, get the iso onto a known good machine and burn a CD, it will boot the machine (assuming it's set to boot from cd) and run at least 2 sets of tests.

Run chkdsk /f /r on the hard drive as well.
    Never, ever approach a computer saying or even thinking "I will just do this quickly."

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    Bad download or a bad burn, both of which can be caused by bad RAM or bad blocks on the hard drive, inconsistent power supply or even corrupt page file. I always download load the service packs on a known good machine and then transfer via usb/cd and then run it from the hard drive.

I suggest you use http://www.memtest.org/ to test the memory, get the iso onto a known good machine and burn a CD, it will boot the machine (assuming it's set to boot from cd) and run at least 2 sets of tests.

Run chkdsk /f /r on the hard drive as well.
    Thanks! I'll try that. Im about to get rid of the piece of junk!