Free Firewalls: Which one is your favourite...

View Poll Results: Which one is your 'recommend' & why ...

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Zone Alarm - the first & original

14 46.67%
  • Kerio - the pretender (more so now apparently)

3 10.00%
  • Sygate

6 20.00%
  • Oupost/agnitum

2 6.67%
  • Other - tell us lots more please

5 16.67%
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Free Firewalls: Which one is your favourite...

Free Firewalls: Which one is your favourite...

For many many moons Kerio was my undoubted absolute favourite ... now it ain't this evil phrase has appeared on its website
    Kerio MailServer with integrated McAfee Anti-Virus
    So that's them off the list then if they are gonna hook up with them ...

So anyway VOTE & let me know what you think ...

Quote Originally Posted by confus-ed
    For many many moons Kerio was my undoubted absolute favourite ... now it ain't this evil phrase has appeared on its website
    So that's them off the list then if they are gonna hook up with them ...

Where's the poll?
    Zone Alarm, since forever (but NOT with minimal security settings....), and SyGate PF is pretty good, too: just more to configure.
    PS
    Could use your help on "Runtime Error" thread.

Bloody Edit:
    Ooops, there it is...

Oh here are the download links for each ...

Zone Alarm

Kerio

Sygate

Outpost

I don't even bother with software based firewalls... the shear amount of questions I get from people who install it is simply astounding... Spend the extra money (highspeed guys) and get a modem with a firewall in it or buy a nice router with one... but if I HAAAAAAD to pick I'd say the least used one whichever it happens to be...
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    I don't even bother with software based firewalls... the shear amount of questions I get from people who install it is simply astounding... Spend the extra money (highspeed guys) and get a modem with a firewall in it or buy a nice router with one......
    I second that statement.

(Didn't realise Kerio was free! (must be the trial version you mean -ed))
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

Quote Originally Posted by gazzak
    (Didn't realise Kerio was free! (must be the trial version you mean -ed))
    Nope 'tis free
    Kerio Personal Firewall is FREE for home and personal use. For corporate use please see the pricing and licensing policies section.

Quote Originally Posted by arch0nmyc0n
    I don't even bother with software based firewalls... the shear amount of questions I get from people who install it is simply astounding... Spend the extra money (highspeed guys) and get a modem with a firewall in it or buy a nice router with one... but if I HAAAAAAD to pick I'd say the least used one whichever it happens to be...
    Sit down & look at the levels of sophistication in your average home free software ... then think very hard about how much you need to pay to get that level of sophistication in a box - 'tis a lot - well its a lot to spend at home for 2 pcs - & thats why a software firewall is attractive - especially if its free

There's no free lunch

Sit down & look at the levels of sophistication in your average home free software ... then think very hard about how much you need to pay to get that level of sophistication in a box - 'tis a lot - well its a lot to spend at home for 2 pcs - & thats why a software firewall is attractive - especially if its free
    ...and, both is best. Hardware (Router of whatever) and software.
    http://grc.com/lt/hardware.htm
    External firewall and NAT router appliances ... provide excellent "natural protection" from external intrusion hacking. For systems where a NAT router makes sense (i.e. multiple machines sharing a single Internet connection) we highly recommend the use of a good NAT router. We prefer the Linksys due to its stability, ease of use, and rapidly expanding feature-set in response to marketplace demands.
    However, no hardware of any sort, running outside of a computer, can possibly provide comprehensive protection against the very real dangers from the internal extrusion of your personal and private information.

True. First off, with software there's user intervention until it learns. It's an annoyance to a lot of people. Second, you consider that "hackers" out there can easily obtain a copy of the software and figure out ways around them or what not, I'm not a hacker so I don't know if and or how they do it. Third, it's another one of a zillion programs running in the sys tray slowing the pentium 166 down. Fourth, it's attempting to "lock the door" to your computer and seeing as a hacker likes challenges I would assume it'd be a "please hack me" beacon. Then again I don't hack so I don't know. But I do know once I got rid of the firewall I was testing I stopped getting port scanned...

BTW I don't have any firewall at all :P I'm getting a router soon, any suggestions? I need one with DMZ capability.
    "We must always fear the wicked. But there is another kind of evil that we must fear the most, and that is the indifference of good men." -- Monsignor; The Boondock Saints.

Hardware firewall in the router. Currently a Microsoft MN-700.

Been very happily using Outpost Free since I swapped over when Zone Alarm got very fat at Version 3.

I install either Outpost or ZA 2.6 on people's systems.

Dudes ... please stop telling me about hardware ( I know if you pay enough you can have as good & 'flexible' as any software solution & more 'efficient' too) - but I'm looking for cost effective for say just two pc's - no hardware box with the right features qualifies - unless you start naming some that are less than $100 !!!

Dudes ... please stop telling me about hardware ( I know if you pay enough you can have as good & 'flexible' as any software solution & more 'efficient' too) - but I'm looking for cost effective for say just two pc's - no hardware box with the right features qualifies - unless you start naming some that are less than $100 !!!
    OK then -ed, it's Kerio all the way, whether it's with McAfee or not, in my opinion it's the best by a mile. Why so many people have a hangup about McAfee is beyond me, it's a bloody good AV, now if it was with Norton then you should worry!!
    There's no panic like the panic you momentarily feel when you've got
    your hand or head stuck in something

I like my Zone Alarm. I only have one PC connected so I have no real use for a hardware firewall, but i plan on getting a linksys one here soon.

I think ZA has a very gracefull way of handling incoming and outgoing traffic questions. It is good for everyone from novice to professional and the system requirements are not that outrageous...
    ZoneAlarm is compatible with Microsoft® Windows® 98SE/Me/2000/XP.
    ZoneAlarm system requirements: IBM PC or 100% compatible 486 System processor (or higher), Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP, 8MB RAM, 3MB Hard disk space.
    Plus I like using the Zone Log Analyser to see what's going on with my connection.
    "And just when I thought today couldn't get anymore poo-like." -Outcoded