HP Pavilion dv6000 - AKA DV6604NR

Thread: HP Pavilion dv6000 - AKA DV6604NR

Angry HP Pavilion dv6000 - AKA DV6604NR

OK so the DV6604NR is a refurb of the DV6000. I am trying to install WinXP with SP3 on the system. The drivers they offer are not the complete ones. I did find the HP forum thread about this laptop showing how to jerry rig it into working with "tweaked" drivers and such. Is there anyone out there who can lead me to real drivers that would work for this thing? Using the tweaked drivers only made 80% of the drivers work and not to mention the moment I tried to update drivers it hosed the system.

I tried using Everest, and Speccy. Both could not ID the hardware, and the video card was not even seen by those tools, it just came up as video display and nothing else.

No I do not want Win7 on it or Vista, the system ran OK but didn't achieve what I wanted as far as speed. I did try making a slipstream trimmed Win7 but the software for that is not perfect and it makes a 8GB iso because it includes all Win7 types when making the iso.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Well for the GeForce 7150M video card that should be in that model you should be able to use the GeForce Release 179 for Notebooks Driver. I just went to NVidia and selected the model of the video card based on the product specs of the HP notebook.

Also according to HP the notebook could have a BroadCom Wireless Lan or Intel Pro Wireless.

I just bought an HP Notebook and decideded to reformat with Windows pro and found many of the drivers on HP's page were completely wrong and once I got windows installed I went into Device Manager and went to the properties of the device not installed and got the hardware IDs and just used a search engine to find the drivers I needed be them from HP or direct from the manufacturer of the hardware.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Well good thing there is PartedMagic.

Here are the devices as listed by its system:
    Wireless NIC - BCM4311
    SD Host: Ricoh R5C822
    Host Bridge: AMD K8
    VGA: NVidia C67 (GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M)
    PCI Bridge/Chipset: Nvidia MCP67

Motherboard: Quanta 30CF
    One Script to find them.

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    Well good thing there is PartedMagic.

Here are the devices as listed by its system:
    Wireless NIC - BCM4311
    SD Host: Ricoh R5C822
    Host Bridge: AMD K8
    VGA: NVidia C67 (GeForce 7150M/nForce 630M)
    PCI Bridge/Chipset: Nvidia MCP67

Motherboard: Quanta 30CF
    Well hopefully you can get the drivers for the Video and Chipset from NVidia and I am pretty positive if you search for the broadcom Wireless and Ricoh Card reader drivers using the chip model info you will find something.

You may have trouble with some HP specific software like for any shortcut keys or something but other than that you should be in good shape.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

It's been quite a while since I worked with a dv6000, since they dropped and died like flies while still fairly new. Battery recalls, defective motherboards; they were real dogs. HP stopped installing XP on this series in 2007, and all they post are XP updates for the older models, and the Vista models never had official HP XP drivers.

The nForce 630 chipset driver and the GeForce 7150 Go are probably as close as you can get to HP's original drivers. If those work, then the rest of the stuff should be pretty straight forward. The Vista driver listing on HP's support site identifies the rest of the hardware pretty well. The Synaptics driver listed for Vista claims to support every version of Windows from W2K to Vista.

Sad thing is these run like a dream with any flavor of Ubuntu I put on them. However I'm making this a portable gaming station for when I get sent to other locations. Not a hard core gaming machine but one I can have my games on so that I don't have to set up a work machine for entertainment.
    One Script to find them.

Yessir, one of the frustrating things about laptops is that the MOBOs don't always work well with generic drivers. HP/Compaq seem to have set the standard in that regard, but I also blame nVidia in this case for offering generic chipset drivers that are too focused on desktops. With Intel-based laptops, you can use Intel's generic chipset drivers and they work on just about everybody's hardware. A 945 chipset is a 945 chipset.