Free!! 5 Gigabyte Google Drive launches next week.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Free!! 5 Gigabyte Google Drive launches next week.

Hybrid View

Free!! 5 Gigabyte Google Drive launches next week.

" I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

"FREE" .. "GOOGLE" ???!

Sorry but NO ONE SHOULD TRUST THIS!!!!!!! (Who knows what it does with stuff you have on it!!!!!! (report it to google,etc))

Quote Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
    "FREE" .. "GOOGLE" ???!

Sorry but NO ONE SHOULD TRUST THIS!!!!!!! (Who knows what it does with stuff you have on it!!!!!! (report it to google,etc))
    Why would you put anything there you were worried about anyway?
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit
    Why would you put anything there you were worried about anyway?
    You wouldnt believe how many people DONT CARE OF THIER PRIVACY anymore and would put ANYTHING ON IT,its really quite sad......

Quote Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
    You wouldnt believe how many people DONT CARE OF THIER PRIVACY anymore and would put ANYTHING ON IT,its really quite sad......
    My Mensa card says that I'm officially smarter than 98% of mankind. I have no problem believing how stupid other people can be. All the same, I can be a fool for a good pair of stockings. Tough to beat fine legs with or without stockings.
    Last edited by slgrieb; May 10th, 2012 at 08:07 PM.

cool of dude read more and keep informed,stops you from making an arse of yourself,claude

I plan to keep wallpaper, some docs that aren't critical, and a few .exe files there.
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

A free 5GB cloud drive with Google sounds good to me. I haven't read the article, but one could always use: TrueCrypt or some other type of file encryption.
    The early bird may get the worm; but the second mouse gets the cheese!

Thanks, I'll check that out!

I hear rumors that 7-Zip is popular for encrypting stored content.

Could be interesting for small stuff that one may need to access from different locations, but in a time where a 8GB keychain flash drive is under $10 I don't exactly see the value. Slow access and requires an internet connection. A USB drive is as secure as your keys. Maybe for the backup #3 of the photo archive resized to no more than 1200x1200 to fit within 5GB... meh.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

I never believed in or trusted online storage, it's always limited, requires decent bandwidth to upload and download and the fact that all companies get breached or leak their information there is less of a need to store anything I hold private or important on line. The only purpose i could use it for is as a make shift file server to upload to so others can download from it.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Also keep in mind that skydrive (Microsoft's own) already has 25GB free and is supported on the major mobile platforms as well.
    I wouldn't put any sensitive unencrypted files on ANY online storage that I don't fully control.

Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Also keep in mind that skydrive (Microsoft's own) already has 25GB free and is supported on the major mobile platforms as well.
    I wouldn't put any sensitive unencrypted files on ANY online storage that I don't fully control.
    Honestly, a lot of cloud services seem fairly pointless. Sure, I can put 25 GB of stuff on Skydrive, but I'm not really clear on the issue of why I would want to. Generally speaking, there are quicker and more effective ways to exchange data, or to back up your data. It's not like I'm going to use this as primary storage for valuable information. Sometimes I think that the ability to be connected and have data anywhere becomes an end in itself rather than a tool.

All the same, I think Amazon really gets it with their Cloud Player, and cloud services for Kindle. I like the idea of being able to access all the content I own on any device at any time, and that's a very different concept from simple Cloud Storage.

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I like the idea of being able to access all the content I own on any device at any time, and that's a very different concept from simple Cloud Storage.
    Actually it's exactly the same. A cloud folder is a cloud folder. Files are files. Whether it is accessed by a PC, mobile device or even your refrigerator it is basically the same. For Kindle it is Amazon who owns the repository folder and gives R/O access to subscribers, for general storage you own the repository and give R/O (or R/W) access to other people.