APC UPS Fried Computer

Thread: APC UPS Fried Computer

APC UPS Fried Computer

Well today I was working on my computer in my Office playing some music while I was working on a Server for a client and then a big Pop happened and my Circuit Breaker in my house blew. UPS gives a F02 error code and when I plugged my computer directly into outlets is sparks and smokes.

Called APC and they are sending me a replacement UPS and I have to claim my computer. I told them that I assemble my own computers and the phone representative stated they will most likely replace all the components inside the computer because the UPS comes with insurance and when they have claimed customers that buy brand name computers they just cut a check for the amount they paid for it. I am happy that NewEgg keeps all my invoices online so I was doing a part for part price comparison and I think I can get a decent upgrade out of the deal.

Current System (That Was Fried):
    ASUS M4A79T Deluxe Motherboard
    AMD Phenom X4 965
    8GB DDR3 1333mhz Ram by OCZ
    XFX Radeon 5770 1GB
    120GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
    Antec 850W Power Supply

If they will claim dollar for dollar I should be able to get a decent upgrade

Potential Upgrade:
    ASUS Sabertooth 990FX Motherboard
    AMD FX-8120 (Possibly FX-8150)
    16GB 1600Mhz DDR3
    Radeon 7770 1GB
    240GB OCZ Agility 3 SSD
    Antec 900W Power Supply

The total of the components come in a bit less than what I built a couple years ago and I am thinking the case does not need to be replaced so fingers crossed everything goes well with the claims process and thankfully I have a recent backup of my computer on my Home Server which was on a different UPS and off at the time. If they cut me a check for the whole amount maybe I will use the money I spent on the case and upgrade the video card to something a little more powerful.

Has anybody dealt with this type of situation with APC and maybe could provide some insight on what I could expect when filing the claim to replace my computer?
    Last edited by BOB IROC; April 25th, 2012 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Added a question
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.
    http://www.facebook.com/BlueLightningTechnicalServices

Good upgrade choices! I did one a few years ago, but it was the electric company's fault as they accidentally touched 2 current carrying wires outside his house and fried the guys entire electrical collection. Took a few weeks, but they cut him a check and made him sign an agreement that he was done bitching about it. I noticed you aren't asking for a replacement DVD drive, no upgrade to Blu-Ray?
    " I don't like the idea of getting shot in the hand" -Blackie in "Rustlers Rhapsody"

" It is a proud and lonely thing, to be a Stainless Steel Rat." - Slippery Jim DiGriz

Quote Originally Posted by Guts3d View Post
    Good upgrade choices! I did one a few years ago, but it was the electric company's fault as they accidentally touched 2 current carrying wires outside his house and fried the guys entire electrical collection. Took a few weeks, but they cut him a check and made him sign an agreement that he was done bitching about it. I noticed you aren't asking for a replacement DVD drive, no upgrade to Blu-Ray?
    Well I was on the phone with APC's claim department this morning and they stated they wanted the computer diagnosed by a professional and I told them I am a certified IT professional. I actually had to send them copies of my A+, Network+, and other certifications via email. Then they said they wanted me to put in another power supply to see if it is just the power supply that got blown and I told them I had to go get one since the one I have in my desktop is an advanced High Performance Power Supply and was $140 brand new. They said if the Power Supply I buy fixes the issue they will reimburse me for both Power Supplies if I cannot return the one I bought.

I do not see any obvious surge marks or damage on the motherboard so maybe I will get lucky and that is all it is. If not I am hoping the Blu-Ray ROM and Burner Drives are OK at the very least. If this thing sparks like it did before with the new Power Supply then I am going to say screw it and they can replace everything.
    At the source of every error which is blamed on the computer, you will find at least two human errors, including the error of blaming it on the computer.

It's good that APC is honoring their guarantee to replace your fried custome built system. Good luck with that.
    I'm not into AMD related cpu's anymore, so I trust what you mentioned for parts should suit your needs.

Well I put in a replacement 750W Power Supply and what do you know the computer boots. Now to run some diagnostics just to be sure. The ASUS board I use has built in surge protection on the board so maybe that saved the system.

Looks like APC might have gotten lucky this time even though I wouldn't have minded an upgrade. Oh well as long as the computer works I am happy.

Off to run some diagnostics.

Don't you just wish companies that manufacture power supplies showed this same level of commitment with their products? Still, I have to say this is the first instance I've heard of where a catastrophic failure in a UPS torched a system!

Overall, it doesn't even sound like APC is jerking you around much. Considering some of the discussions I've had with support droids, it sounds like they want to cover their butts, but are still being fair. This sort of thing could give the tech industry a good name!

Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Don't you just wish companies that manufacture power supplies showed this same level of commitment with their products? Still, I have to say this is the first instance I've heard of where a catastrophic failure in a UPS torched a system!

Overall, it doesn't even sound like APC is jerking you around much. Considering some of the discussions I've had with support droids, it sounds like they want to cover their butts, but are still being fair. This sort of thing could give the tech industry a good name!
    I guess it is possible that the Power Supply torched the UPS but this was a high quality Antec PSU and this would be the first time in 5 builds I ever had an Antec PSU fail like this. I am not sure what happened because it all happened so fast. There was a POP and then there was no power in my home office and APC unit had an error code.

Quote Originally Posted by BOB IROC View Post
    I guess it is possible that the Power Supply torched the UPS but this was a high quality Antec PSU and this would be the first time in 5 builds I ever had an Antec PSU fail like this. I am not sure what happened because it all happened so fast. There was a POP and then there was no power in my home office and APC unit had an error code.
    Crud! Sorry if I wasn't clear. I would agree that the UPS was the source of the problem and not the computer's PSU. A failing PSU should have tripped the UPS's protection circuits, and I don't believe that in a worst case scenario, a bad power supply could damage a system on a UPS unless the UPS were defective, but a failed UPS could certainly overload the power protection in most PSUs.

In all honesty I wouldn't expect a power supply to fry the computer due to AC power variations. The low voltage section is for all practical purposes insulated from the high voltage part. A PSU would have to be really crappy designed to fry the board. I'm not saying it cannot happen (it can and I've seen it), but it's an extremely rare occurrence if the PSU isn't the kind that is pre-installed on a $25 computer case.
    Now the high voltage part is indeed subject to failure and transient conditions can cause the magic smoke to escape - but again it shouldn't cause an overvoltage condition in the low voltage section.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!