32bit 64bit Processor

Thread: 32bit 64bit Processor

32bit 64bit Processor

I know this is a stupid question but is it safe for me to assume that if I installed vista 64bit on a laptop the processor is 64bit? From what I have read any 64bit system will not run on a 32bit processor. Never really researched it.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Yes indeed, if you've been able to install the 64-bit OS, then the CPU implements 64-bit.

Correct, unless the disk included both 32 and 64 bit versions and it installed the 32 bit. But if you check the properties of the OS it will be a definite answer.
    The definitive way is using a CPU ID tool.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

No it installed 64bit for sure. I was just checking because I had a customer come in who was displeased with the service she got and brought along a friend who claimed to do this for a living and said I installed a 64bit on a 32bit processor and I told him that wasn't possible from all the training I've had and gave her money back and threw her out of my shop because she had a very nasty mouth. I believe the problem was she had this guy telling her for some reason it should of been done differently. I had no problems what so ever here at the shop with it. Anyway I just turn the other cheek and go on. In 3 years in this shop and 9 years in business this is the very first person who has ever been disappointed. As he was going out the door he asked me how long A+ certification lasted, I guess if he doesn't know that then he's not much of a tech and why didn't she take it to this expert in the first place I don't know. BTW do they even put out processors anymore that are only 32bit?
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    BTW do they even put out processors anymore that are only 32bit?
    Different pricing/marketing structures.
    Just like higher speed and lower speed CPUs are made on the very same production line and they get a laser cut in the end to lock the multiplier. Or have parts of the cache cut out...
    Same physical product (minus some cuts), significantly different prices.
    Remember when some 15 years ago all Intel CPUs 166-233MHz were made on the same line and just getting a different stamp (and they could be overclocked to 250-266MHz )...
    Last edited by CeeBee; May 18th, 2012 at 12:32 PM.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!