Accessing/Syncing a Huge .PST File

Thread: Accessing/Syncing a Huge .PST File

Accessing/Syncing a Huge .PST File

My client, and brother-in-law, who is an attorney, has an issue in accessing his OUtlook 2003 mail from various locations. The problem is that he would like to have Outlook access his mail account via his laptop whilst in court away from the office but then return to the office and see an exact copy of all the emails sent, received, filed, etc. while he was away. His .pst file is 1.02 GB in size as he has 100+ rules and associated directories to store mail within the .pst file.

I am using Syncplicity, a cloud-based app, to sync his files. The problem with having Syncplicity sync the .pst file is the size. He would invariably return and not give the syncing s/w time to sync OR leave the mail app open in his office while using the mail and .pst file remotely.

I have given him the option of accesing his mail via the Internet mail logon BUT he still wants to see any sent emails while away locally on his desktop PC as well as be able to save and file emails within the many directories he has in Outlook.

I have found syncing software made just for pst files but hoped there was/is a better solution other than trying to set up an exchange server.

Here is the link for the s/w I found: http://www.easy2sync.com/en/produkte/e2s4o_shots.php

What can I do to help him solve this problem?

Thanks!

Jeff F.
    Last edited by Farrar; May 29th, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”

When he's back in his office I'm guessing he uses a different pc?

Plain and simple method:
    I would just set the account up on both computers...With the account setting - Leave Mail on Server - anytime he sends mail - he bcc's himself.

EDIT: a 1 gig pst file is actually small. You might want to consider enabling the ARCHIVE feature... Couple times a month it can move mail older the X number of days to the archive.pst file.

Another option that might be possible: my company uses www.rackspace.com to host our email. Five bucks per basic account and 15 bucks for an EXCHANGE Server account. With an exchange account, he could easily sync to many computers including his smart phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    When he's back in his office I'm guessing he uses a different pc?

Plain and simple method:
    I would just set the account up on both computers...With the account setting - Leave Mail on Server - anytime he sends mail - he bcc's himself.

EDIT: a 1 gig pst file is actually small. You might want to consider enabling the ARCHIVE feature... Couple times a month it can move mail older the X number of days to the archive.pst file.

Another option that might be possible: my company uses www.rackspace.com to host our email. Five bucks per basic account and 15 bucks for an EXCHANGE Server account. With an exchange account, he could easily sync to many computers including his smart phone.
    His web site is hosted through Network Solutions and they offer an exchange account with 3 GB for 11.99 per month and then for 2.99 the ability to push mail to an iPhone.

I may just use tyhe archive feature as well. At my place of work, this is done to everyone's account whether you like it or not every 30 days.

Thanks!
    “If nothing changes, Nothing changes!”