Registry and Command Line question

Thread: Registry and Command Line question

Registry and Command Line question

So, in my effort to understand myself and through deep self analysis it dawned on me that the reason I enjoy IT work is I originally loved messing with batch files and tinkering in the registry. I'm sure I'll eventually move on to scripts but I need to take steps to where I want to go. Does anyone have any insight on a good set of books to learn everything and I do mean everything about the registry and a good site or book that gives every command line command, what they do and how to use them? Preferrably I'd like to learn about both the WinXP and Win7 registries as I understand there are some differences.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; June 7th, 2012 at 08:50 AM.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

The Windows registries have NOT evolved to some new, better, undamageable level.

Basically, since XP, the samo.

Thus, Kelly's Hacks and whatever you can find are the guides - bottom line is, anyone SMART could backup their entire registry weekly and then recover nicely BUT no one does.

Go figure!

RE: Registry and command line question

Niclo,

I found a great starting place is the REG command itself. Start by looking at the commands available (REG /?) and then use the help feature for each command (e.g., REG COMPARE /?). There are some good examples in the help for what each does. Several good sites for more info (http://www.computerhope.com/reg.htm, http://www.petri.co.il/reg_command_in_windows_xp.htm, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/l...(v=WS.10).aspx)

It sounds like you are looking for information about the registry itself but I don't think you will find a definitive source since the registry can vary so widely from machine to machine. I guess it would be nice to have a baseline of a default install.

My suggestion (for what it's worth) is to learn all about the capabilities and limitations of the reg.exe tool and then expand on that by determining when and how you want to use it. I was forced by Retina (vulnerability scanner) to use the tool when it flagged 19 machines with Category 1 issues. This tool allowed me to remotely check the offending registry entries on all the machines and determine which ones needed correction.

Cool, thanks for the input Maced. I'll have to look into that. Does anyone know of that Windows XP Registry Book by MS? I'm just curious if it's worth buying for this venture.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Well, all I can say is that I know of it, and that there is a more recent MS Press book available

Amazon has it and several other books on the topic, but other than a couple of works that look more specialized than general, they are all fairly old. Nevertheless, the search pulled up some very interesting titles.