Replacing caps on a motherboard

Thread: Replacing caps on a motherboard

Replacing caps on a motherboard

Go a pc in the needs some caps replaced and I have some in stock but they are just slightly taller like 1 MM and 0346 on the old and 0446 on the new. Both are 1500uf and 6.3v at 105 will these be ok???
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Quote Originally Posted by Kodiak View Post
    Go a pc in the needs some caps replaced and I have some in stock but they are just slightly taller like 1 MM and 0346 on the old and 0446 on the new. Both are 1500uf and 6.3v at 105 will these be ok???

Braver than me! Boards are layered and you can short out in the board if too hot. If the caps are poofed what gaurantee do you have for the rest of the circuits?
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

will these be ok?
    If they're a reputable brand with corresponding ratings they should be fine. Minor size/shape variation is common, and the numbers look like batch/date codes. You've done mainboard caps before?

Yeah I have done several of them and there all out there working just fine. It's not really that hard if you have the right soldier gun and soldier.
    Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind

Replaced 6 caps on the board and she starts up and runs great. Wouldn't run before.

Replaced 6 caps on the board and she starts up and runs great. Wouldn't run before.
    Great job
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

I started exploring this when I ran into a business customer said he would pay me to at least try because for some reason he just had to have that pc and it has been running ever since. Just another thing in my repertoire.

Motherboard Caps

Kodiak, it is a nice feeling when you can do a board level repair and be successful. A coworker gave me a Dell computer that he said was having problems and didn't want to mess with it. I took it and same as you found three bad caps on the board. Replaced those and all was well. Right after that my Sceptre Gamer monitor went on the fritz and I found a great source of information on Badcaps.net about a repair. Turns out it was bad caps on the power board. Again, a little bit of careful time to order and replace (about $7) and I saved myself the cost of a new monitor. The forums on badcaps.net are pretty good and cover a lot of devices for potential repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by maced View Post
    Kodiak, it is a nice feeling when you can do a board level repair and be successful. A coworker gave me a Dell computer that he said was having problems and didn't want to mess with it. I took it and same as you found three bad caps on the board. Replaced those and all was well. Right after that my Sceptre Gamer monitor went on the fritz and I found a great source of information on Badcaps.net about a repair. Turns out it was bad caps on the power board. Again, a little bit of careful time to order and replace (about $7) and I saved myself the cost of a new monitor. The forums on badcaps.net are pretty good and cover a lot of devices for potential repairs.
    I will have to check it out. Soldiering isn't that hard really. Seems like the repair business is down lately so everything I can add to the business will help keep me in business. Good job on the repair.