XP updates

Thread: XP updates

XP updates

My lap top had all the updates until I decided to try Windows 8
    Looks like microsoft is in partners with Apple sorta speaking, Apps all apps.
    So I pulled harddrive and formatted it reinstalled and loaded win XP. Went to win update and put in xp and all, it came back could not be found.
    Last thing I remember, running for the door,
    I had to find the passage back to the place
    I was before.

Are you using IE to check for updates?
    Do you have any ad blocking software installed?
    The update sites usually wants to install an app or two just to be able to check for updates?

Which SP of XP did you install?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Are you using IE to check for updates?
    Do you have any ad blocking software installed?
    The update sites usually wants to install an app or two just to be able to check for updates?

Which SP of XP did you install?
    Yes I was using IE, My system disk has sp1 and 2, At the site I installed the app for checking updates. The site changed to usual update and I selected express.Then it (the screen) turned white and at task bar we was changing pages to The website has encountered a problem and cannot display the page you are trying to view, then gave selections to help with problemI just reinstalled windows XP and the driver disk.Not aware of ad blocking on recovery disk or driver disk. I was hoping they still update XP
    I was before.

Did you try all of the "fix" options that were suggested?

I would select "custom" instead of express and see if that helps.

You could also google and find SP3 on a seperate site.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Did you try all of the "fix" options that were suggested?

I would select "custom" instead of express and see if that helps.

You could also google and find SP3 on a seperate site.
    I have been trying since this morning Heh Heh I clicked fix it and it came up I needed sp3 and frame work 2 or better to use fix it. Yes I selected custom too and it goes to problem loading. It had 0x80240036 on right hand of page. I went to area to match # matched all but last #6 and it was talking about a proxy associated with a server type group and I needed to contact server support to fix problem.

I am sitting in my house upstairs I have a wireless router cisco linksys 3200, I also have a wireless router Netgear that replaced another wired router downstairs where modem is for cable internet. There are 5 computers wired in and 6 lap tops wirelessly on occasions. My laptop caught a bug and I had to wipe it out (format) since then I have not been able to go wirelessly even with xp maybe it needs updates. Could it be microsoft sees me through a network. I may have to go to a place that has wifi like Mic D`s
    I was before.

It sounds like you haven't actually got all the bugs out. If it was a network bug maybe it's just jumping around the network.
    Might even be a boot sector one and you may need to remove the partitions and zero fill the drive.
    Also ordinarily a virus/bug cannot disable a wireless card.
    That sounds like a corrupted security key.
    Last edited by Ferrit; August 6th, 2012 at 08:52 AM.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrit View Post
    It sounds like you haven't actually got all the bugs out. If it was a network bug maybe it's just jumping around the network.
    Might even be a boot sector one and you may need to remove the partitions and zero fill the drive.
    Also ordinarily a virus/bug cannot disable a wireless card.
    That sounds like a corrupted security key.
    On the security key is okay all other laptops get on no problem, you may have something though, When I go to available wireless networks I have 6 available all with passwords but anyway when I right click on my router I should get a prompt to fill out password, what I get is windows checking availability and getting a star after 35 minutes waiting but I hit internet explorer and page not found. I can zero fill on desk top but never have done it on laptop.I am zero filling with adapter 2.0 to 3.0 or close on those #`s. I saw it on tiger direct for 6.99
    Thought maybe someone in my area might have one. Very large computer shop calls it self Today`s computer store. I called them and they did not know what I was talking about. They told me about usb connection. I have that, So I drove by a new comp fixit place low and behold they had one for 7.99. As I am writing this down I am writing zero`s on another machine 8/7/2012 at 6:09 It is 9:00 and I am at 35%, 120 gig harddrive
    Last edited by xpuser357; August 7th, 2012 at 08:58 PM. Reason: adding more
    I was before.

After I reinstalled windows XP. I went to updates and clicked express, I could not believe it went to page not found! I googled XP sp3 32 bit Came up to a Microsoft site for IT`s 325 MB, It was for people with a server so they can use it for multible computers in there domain. I downloaded it anyway and installed then went to site updates When I picked express the page stayed the same but you saw green lines in a box and then to download program to make sure your windows is legal. After that I had 117 updates. I loaded office 2010 and I am receiving updates with office too
    I was before.

XP is so old now that it's basically only SP3 level that is accepted. So yes, you need to manually update to SP3, then go online update & get the 117 subsequent updates (did it myself for someone a couple of weeks ago).