How To Delete Operating System Partition

Thread: How To Delete Operating System Partition

How To Delete Operating System Partition

Hi there,

I have been some technical problems for some time now. For about a year, I have tried to install Microsoft Office 2007 and Microsoft Office 2010. However, the installation process has never succeeded. Recently, in order to be able to meet the requirements for my computer classes, I re-installed my Microsoft Windows XP SP3, and I was able to successfully install Microsoft Office 2010 after I updated my new Microsoft Windows XP from SP2 to SP3.

However, my main problem is the following. A couple of months ago, my sibling installed another operating system called Ubuntu. As such, at the time being, at the moment the computer starts up, there are three operating systems that show up. The first operating system, is the new Microsoft Windows XP SP3 I recently installed. The second operating system, is the old version of Microsoft Windows XP SP3 I have had for the past two years. And the last operating system, is Ubuntu.

When I re-installed Windows XP, I chose, if I recall correctly, to install the new version on the D: partition (or the D: drive?). My question now, is how I can possibly delete the old version of Microsoft Windows XP SP3 as well the Ubuntu operating system. If someone could walk me through the process, I would appreciate.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Wow. You are asking alot. You either have multiple drives in your computer, or your hard drive is partitioned into multiple areas. The fastest way would be to have an external drive that you could copy the "d" drive to, then format your drive and copy the copy your drive back. You have a boot loader that you need to get rid of.
    You need to know whether you have one drive, or multiple drives.
    Sergeant WOTPP

The method that MobilePCPhysician describes should work.
    But quite often the copy back process doesnt allow windows XP to boot properly.
    As he said we need to know are there multiple drives or 1 drive or what?
    You may in the case of multiple drives have to physically disconnect 1
    to get the job done.If it is 1 harddrive then i suggest saving your data and actually removeing all
    partitions and starting from a clean drive and reloading windows XP.
    Oh and installing the operating system on anything but C drive is a no no.
    Many many things will not work like that.
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

I managed to delete the old paritions, reboot Windows XP and install a new partition. Thank you all for your assistance