[RESOLVED] new appliance on motherboards?

Thread: [RESOLVED] new appliance on motherboards?

DRobbins

Question new appliance on motherboards?

Up until recently I have been on top of most of the industry standards. I recieved a catalog from one of my vendors that has a listing located in the description of a motherboard from BIOSTAR it offers a slot much like an AGP called "AMR". This is the first reference that I have ever seen for such an item. What is it going to be used for ?

Darren Wilson

AMR is an acronym for Audio Modem Riser which is a proprietory socket for these devices. There is another type of socket on newer boards that utilise the i815 chipset called CNR (Communication Network Riser) which is used for modem, LAN, DSL etc. This also will save on PCI sockets, but I have yet to verify this as I am tryig to find a supplier of both types of Riser card in the UK.

If anyone can help then it would be appreciated.

------------------
    why are our jobs so interesting??????

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

AMR Riser cards are very scarce even here in the states. The reason being is they just are not cost effective. The difference in price from an AMR modem to a normal PCI winmodem is only $1-5US. So most manufacturers, after the initial "new technology" push, discontinued making them. Plus, CNR is the new tech push now, so AMR is quickly going the way of the dinosaur. I would imagine the same will happen with CNR, but that remains to be seen.

------------------
    What's this button d--
    Do one thing everyday that scares you.
    Do two things everyday that scare the bejesus out of someone else.

I've put two of these modems onto AMR risers. None of them worked properly, So I ended up putting PCI modems in. Isn't technology wonderful !

------------------
    feel free to comment on my website. http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk
    feel free to comment on my website. <a href="http://www.bytes-back.co.uk" target="_blank">http://www.bytesback.fsbusiness.co.uk</a>

Darren Wilson

Saying that Paul, I built my workshop 'server' with an AMR Modem installed and it works perfectly. Maybe only time will tell though.

------------------

For a different ' angle ' on life visit my NEW homepage @ The Carpers Lodge - The UK's No.1 Non-Commercial / Independant Carp Angling Website

Maj-Britt Skrubel

Question

Hey there

I´m in a situation much like yourselves, Im trying to find an audio card for CNR slot. Intel states, that the 815e chipset supports 6-channel DVD sound ( AC-3 ) but I need a soundcard, that can take advantage of that !!
    Have you got any idea, who makes such a card ?

Yours gratefully

[email protected]

Darren Wilson

Join the club!!!!

I can get hold of AMR modems no problem but cannot find a distibutor in the UK for CNR devices.

------------------

You can get a 6 Channel DSP soundcard from Video Logic called the sonic fury.
    I bet it took all week to come up with that title. Very hip. ;> I saw one for sale on the site below.
    http://www.novatech.co.uk

cheers
    Scutter

------------------
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.
    And Control Enter STILL wont let me post a reply.