[RESOLVED] No sound from HP Pavilion using AD1816A

Thread: [RESOLVED] No sound from HP Pavilion using AD1816A

clueless2000

Post No sound from HP Pavilion using AD1816A

I had to replace the sound card on my HP Pavilion 8140. When I boot up I get no sound. However, when I shut down and restart in MS-DOS The sound comes on, but it also includes sound from the hard disk. I don't have any device conflicts. When I exit back to Windows the sound stays on. When I shut down and reboot normally, I get no sound. Any Ideas?

You need to copy the sound initilization strings from the file "dosstart.bat" located in the windows directory into your "autoexec.bat" located at the C:\ prompt.

clueless2000

Originally posted by RGK01:
    You need to copy the sound initilization strings from the file "dosstart.bat" located in the windows directory into your "autoexec.bat" located at the C:\ prompt.
    RGK01, this was a very commendable suggestion. I tried it and I could see the sound card being initialized when I booted up. However, I did not get any sound. Examination of Bootlog.txt showed that cwdinit.exe failed, ndis2sup.vxd did not load and Atilcd.dll had a load load failure code 0002. One of these is probably causing the problem and I don't know which. Any suggestions?

First, check to see if you have any sound setup in the autoexec.bat for the old sound card, if so remove them.

If the above doesn't fix it, then, uninstall the sound card (not just the windows drivers but the dos setup also), should either be an uninstall in the sound program or in control panel add/remove programs. If no uninstall available, remove the strings from the autoexec.bat, config.sys (if any), dosstart.bat - delete the directories these strings point to. Also, remove all sound devices listed in windows device manager. Then restart the computer, and reinstall the sound setup program.

Hi,
    You might try following the link below...it will take you to HP's driver update page. Go all the way down to User Application Updates and click on "More Info"...it almost sounds like it could be a resolution to your problem.
    Also, some good update info on your basic system itself.
    Hope this helps out...Good Luck!
    DonJ
    http://www.hp.com/cposupport/swindexes/pv8140_swen.html

[This message has been edited by DonJ (edited September 29, 2000).]
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

clueless2000

After an extensive process of elimination I returned to the original suggestion to copy the initialization strings from the Dos autoexec.bat to the Windows autoexec.bat. With some tweaking of the strings I was able to get the sounds to when I boot up normally. But I still have a problem with static. The static sounds coincide with the activity of the hard disk but they don't appear to be sharing a DMA channel. If I can solve this problem I am home free. If you have any suggestions I would like to hear them. Thank you very much for all your help. You guys really know your stuff.