[RESOLVED] Asus motherboard problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] Asus motherboard problem

gemr

Question Asus motherboard problem

Hi I just boutgt a new mother board ASUS K7V motherboard with a 850mhz. thunderbird and pc-133 256mb of memory but the thing that is happening is that the computer boots but it freezes when it make auto detection or when i want to go to the bios to set up everything it fresses and sometimes when I get to bios the sometimes I see like chinese characters inside the bios program I dont even anderstand the date. It could be the motherboard or the powersupply from the case.

------------------
    Gil

StevePorter

Lightbulb

AMD is pretty picky when it comes to power supplies for their CPUs. Go here to find additional information regarding AMD's recomended power supplies.

Also, consider downloading and flashing your motherboard's BIOS to the latest version. Go here to get the BIOS file "k7v1007.zip". Finally, download and install the latest motherboard drivers. Go here to get the Via 4-in-1 drivers.

I hope this helps...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

Of course, it could also be the BIOS chip itself that's corrupt....I've seen it once or twice. If this is true, the BIOS flash will fail. Utterly.

------------------
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000
    Bryan Pizzuti
    CompTIA A+, CNAP
    [email protected]
    ICQ # 8525092
    Yahoo Messenger: npaladin_2000

chip35

If the bios chip's checksum fails due to a corrupt bios the screen would usually be blank. That's the default response. You are having serious memory or CPU problems. Check to see if the heatsink is flat (some Athlons it is hard to tell) to the CPU. Check the memory and see that it has a -75 (for 7.5 nanosecond sdram, A LOT of companies are testing 8 NS sdram at 133 and calling it good. Athlon's don't accept it as good though.As far as the Power supply goes, AMD recommends a good 300 watt (but only because they put more powerful fans in them) Athlons are hot stuff. Extra case fan recommended etc.

------------------
    What's the differance between 'twisted' and 'torqued' anyways?

Originally posted by gemr:
    Hi I just boutgt a new mother board ASUS K7V motherboard with a 850mhz. thunderbird and pc-133 256mb of memory but the thing that is happening is that the computer boots but it freezes when it make auto detection or when i want to go to the bios to set up everything it fresses and sometimes when I get to bios the sometimes I see like chinese characters inside the bios program I dont even anderstand the date. It could be the motherboard or the powersupply from the case.

Check all stuffs in that order:
    1.Power supply (Thunderbirds really requires good 300W PSU)
    2.Memory stick/sticks.
    3.Videocard (reseat it or try to replace)
    4.All another connections and jumper settings.

By the way, are You using thermal compound for CPU? If no - it should be done!

------------------
    Ruslan Khyzha

Darren Wilson

Try removing everything apart from the CPU & RAM, & Vid card and see if you can manipulate the BIOS settings then. If you can then it could be a dodgy IDE controller ,cable or HDD, if the same then it could be a bad MoBo , PSU, RAM or CPU. I am afraid that this one looks to be a process of elimination.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

Stephen.C

Concentrate on the Ram and the Power Supply.The AMD-Thunderbird Chip should have a 300W Power Supply.I have seen this problem before, and usually leads to bad Ram or Ram not properly seated.

Stephen
    A+,MCSE
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by Stephen.C (edited February 27, 2001).]

ronh

Originally posted by gemr:

I've seen this problem on Asus M/b's before. If you have a CD-ROM particularly a CD/RW, disconnect it before you enter setup and see if it makes a difference. I believe this is one of a myriad of problems with the Asus board...hope this works

mahdi

Thumbs down

I wouldn't trust the Via 4 in 1 drivers very much, I installed them this week and lost OpenGL for Unreal Tournament and had to switch to D3D. But I think I'm still using OpenGL with Half-Life just fine...kinda wierd so use your judgement on updating drivers and BIOS (the last time I updated a BIOS it took 4 hours getting the BIOS settings correct so it could run and lost the use of my floppy drive...) Check the info on the BIOS update and see if it fixes any of the issues you have, otherwise skip the update and avoid the headache.

Rocinante

I would agree with the Above Power Supply, Memory, ect, But I have had the EXACT same issue on an A7V, which i fixed by flashing a different bios image for my motherboard.

------------------
    on tonights menu - special fried bios

Angry

SAme as above with this added Bad Memory can screw up your system, if you have another memory dimm replace the memory and try again.
    2.)Make sure you have seated all cards.
    3.)Is the board mounted properly washers on the top side of the mounts to the MB?
    4.)300 Watt Power Supply?
    Good Luck to You.

------------------
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA Lifes a Beach
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

AcId_BuRn

It's the CPU if you get a digit when you go into the bios like a 0 or such. Sometimes it will be a character try exchaning out cpu's and see i fyou have some luck.

------------------