First time poster, long time chat user: laptop will turn on but won't boot up
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: First time poster, long time chat user: laptop will turn on but won't boot up

First time poster, long time chat user: laptop will turn on but won't boot up

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for my question/concern, but I'd really appreciate your help.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A305D computer with Windows Vista.

About a year ago, my laptop was getting really really hot but did not shut down. After I was done with my laptop, I shut it down. I came back about an hour or so later only to have it turn on but not boot up. The power button and lights that indicate the battery, whether or not it's plugged in, and the other little power light were all on, but the screen was black and nothing happened. I left it alone for a couple of days and tried turning it back on, and it worked, so I didn't think much of it.

Yesterday, I turned on my laptop to look up something really quick (nothing too memory intensive or anything like that, and I had it on for only a few minutes). I came back home a couple of hours later and the same thing happened again. The lights and the fan would turn on but nothing happened. My laptop just sat there with a black screen. I decided I'd try again to leave it alone for a few days and turn it back on.

I was curious to see how my laptop was doing so I just turned it on to see how it was doing, and sure enough, it booted up like nothing happened. The first time it happened, I figured my computer needed a while to recover from the overheating and once it had, it worked, but I can't find an explanation for why it happened again when my computer did not overheat.

One thing I did notice though that happened both times: this particular model of laptop comes with touch-enabled media buttons (mute, play/pause, stop, skip, rewind) and they were somehow disabled (wouldn't light up/respond to touch), but just a few weeks before my computer refused to boot up, they would magically work again.

I've recently checked to see if there's any malware/viruses/whatever and nothing's come up so I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

Why is this happening? Is there anything I can do to fix it or prevent it from happening in the future? Are there signs I should watch out for?

Thank you!

PS: The chat you guys used to have helped me out of a jam many a time, and I'm really thankful you guys had it for as long as you did!

Hello,

From your description it sounds like a bad capacitor on the board. If it's not that then it could be the board was damaged by possibly a power surge of some sort. I have also seen this happen when moisture gets on the board like a drop of water/pop/coffee hits the right spot and doesn't out right kill the system but still damages it.

I could suggest opening up the system and checking the capacitors for bulges and leaks but it may be harder to do with the system being a laptop.
    Last edited by Niclo Iste; April 2nd, 2013 at 04:22 PM.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

Have you cleaned out (blow some air though or vacuumed out or both) the cooling vents ?

There is some evidence on Google that overheating capacitors on that model could occur, but not a lot.

Seeing as how the laptop has Windows Vista, I am going to assume the unit is a leats 4 years old. It could be the battery causing problems. Try removing the battery, make sure the power adapter is unplugged, with the unit off, hold the power button down for 30 seconds, pug the power adapter back in and then see if it turns on properly.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzziyelochicki View Post
    Have you cleaned out (blow some air though or vacuumed out or both) the cooling vents ?
    It's been a while since I've vacuumed my laptop so I should probably do that haha. Hopefully that will keep it from acting up again, at least anytime soon. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Niclo Iste View Post
    Hello,

From your description it sounds like a bad capacitor on the board. If it's not that then it could be the board was damaged by possibly a power surge of some sort. I have also seen this happen when moisture gets on the board like a drop of water/pop/coffee hits the right spot and doesn't out right kill the system but still damages it.

I could suggest opening up the system and checking the capacitors for bulges and leaks but it may be harder to do with the system being a laptop.
    Is that something I could have someone with more experience do? I'm not too comfortable with opening up my laptop. What can be done to fix that, if it is the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
    Seeing as how the laptop has Windows Vista, I am going to assume the unit is a leats 4 years old. It could be the battery causing problems. Try removing the battery, make sure the power adapter is unplugged, with the unit off, hold the power button down for 30 seconds, pug the power adapter back in and then see if it turns on properly.
    Thanks! I'll try that the next time it acts up again. It's working fine now (thankfully).

Is that something I could have someone with more experience do? I'm not too comfortable with opening up my laptop. What can be done to fix that, if it is the problem?
    I believe so, just as long as they are careful to do it with the battery removed and it unplugged. The screws are a PITA to keep track of so I usually put them in a cup next to what I am working on. Though if cleaning it out did the trick then you may not have to worry about doing this.
    One Script to rule them all.
    One Script to find them.
    One Script to bring them all,
    and clean up after itself.

If you have a Toshiba laptop, and want to service it yourself, your best online resource is http://www.irisvista.com/

As Niclo said, keeping up with the screws is annoying. I prefer to use one of those Old Fart Daily Pill organizers with their multiple compartments or even egg cartons.
    Last edited by slgrieb; April 4th, 2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: It's my post and I'll edit if i want to, edit if I want to

Hi all,

I'm not sure if this is the right thread for my question/concern, but I'd really appreciate your help.

I have a Toshiba Satellite A305D computer with Windows Vista.

About a year ago, my laptop was getting really really hot but did not shut down. After I was done with my laptop, I shut it down. I came back about an hour or so later only to have it turn on but not boot up. The power button and lights that indicate the battery, whether or not it's plugged in, and the other little power light were all on, but the screen was black and nothing happened. I left it alone for a couple of days and tried turning it back on, and it worked, so I didn't think much of it.

Yesterday, I turned on my laptop to look up something really quick (nothing too memory intensive or anything like that, and I had it on for only a few minutes). I came back home a couple of hours later and the same thing happened again. The lights and the fan would turn on but nothing happened. My laptop just sat there with a black screen. I decided I'd try again to leave it alone for a few days and turn it back on.

I was curious to see how my laptop was doing so I just turned it on to see how it was doing, and sure enough, it booted up like nothing happened. The first time it happened, I figured my computer needed a while to recover from the overheating and once it had, it worked, but I can't find an explanation for why it happened again when my computer did not overheat.

One thing I did notice though that happened both times: this particular model of laptop comes with touch-enabled media buttons (mute, play/pause, stop, skip, rewind) and they were somehow disabled (wouldn't light up/respond to touch), but just a few weeks before my computer refused to boot up, they would magically work again.

I've recently checked to see if there's any malware/viruses/whatever and nothing's come up so I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

Why is this happening? Is there anything I can do to fix it or prevent it from happening in the future? Are there signs I should watch out for?

Thank you!

PS: The chat you guys used to have helped me out of a jam many a time, and I'm really thankful you guys had it for as long as you did!
    The chat has not disappeared, They just dropped the link for it.
    It now resides at
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html
    Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX 8350 4ghz OCTO-Core
    Windows 8.1 PRO 64
    Adata 256 gig SSD
    Kingston HyperX 1600 16 Gigs
    Sapphire R9 280 2gig
    Enermax Liberty Modular 620
    www.northernaurora.net
    http://www.northernaurora.net/page/chat.html

It seems to be an on-board issue. Earlier I too persisted this issue regarding graphics chip, so replaced motherboard. If your laptop comes in warranty period, contact the vendor and explain the scene at best.

This could be the problem solved for my older PC thanks guys!! brilliant

Welcome to WinDrivers nguyencong. You are welcome.

I just came across the same problem mp3juices.cc
    Last edited by Miekiships; August 27th, 2017 at 01:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miekiships View Post
    I just came across the same problem
    Welcome to WinDrivers Miekiships. Have you tried any of the suggestions that are in this thread?