What sound setup to go with?

Thread: What sound setup to go with?

Post What sound setup to go with?

Okay, I'm an avid gamer.... Counter Strike, Wolfenstein, Soldier of Fortune, etc... I'm looking to get a new speaker setup for my machine since I am relocating my PC to a room that doesn't have my stereo in it (that's what I originally used for my sound setup via an phone jack to RCA splitter). I want to have 3D sound so I can hear things behind me (for those games that have that capability). I think I want a 4.1 speaker system and keep it under the $250 mark along with picking up a new soundcard that also stays under the $150 mark. Is there a brand and model card that clearly stands above the rest? I'm open to any suggestions since I haven't looked for a soundcard in over 8 years... Thanks all!
    A good friend will bail you out of jail, but your best friend will be the
    one sitting next to you saying,"That was f~@&ing awesome!"

<a href="http://www.bestbuy.com/detail.asp?e=11092865&m=488&cat=521&scat=524" target="_blank">Speakers.......</a>

<a href="http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=286625" target="_blank">Sound Card</a>
    I didnt shop around too much, but this is a pretty good set up. I have this sound card and I am very pleased with it...
    *Edited by Sowulo*

Thanks to A d e p t for the avatar!!!!

Im done here

I got to agree with "cc_penguin" ! It 's actually nice seeing someone recommending the speakers you just bought. I've had the Creative Inspire 5300 for about 2 months and i can honestly say that for the price they give you a hell of a great value. I'm running it with an audigy and its a very good music and gaming and affordable sound system.
    If it aint broken dont fix it..I should realy start doing that

I'm using a SBLive OEM and a 3 peice set of Cambridge Digital speakers.. 28 watts total.. great sound I'm very please.. Sad part is all the parts are disco'd.. I'd recommend Creatives latest offering with a good set of digital speakers from either Cambridge or Altec Lansing
    <Ferrit> Take 1 live chicken, cut the head off, dance around doing the hokey pokey and chanting: GO AWAY BAD VIRUS, GO AWAY BAD VIRUS
    -----------------------
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Asus P5QL Deluxe
    Intel Q6600
    nVidia 8800 GTS 320
    6 gigs of Ram
    2x60 gig OCZ Vertex SSD (raid 0)
    WD Black 750 gig
    Antec Tri power 750 Watt PSU
    Lots of fans

I hear good things about the latest logitech speakers.
    So, so busy lately. Oh, where do I start?

Check out <a href="http://www.tomshardware.com/video/02q1/020325/index.html" target="_blank">THIS</a> Article before deciding anything, theres lots of good choices out there.....
    "give a man a fish, and he will eat a meal, teach a man to fish...."

I have a pretty good home theater setup, sony dvd, speakers, etc...and I hooked my pc up to this and I still prefer my Sony VJ700 headphones to the regular speakers...excellent bass, highs...perfect surround...
    "There is always a need for intoxication: China has opium, Islam has hashish, the West has woman."
    André Malraux
    (1901-1976)

"Don't let worry kill you -- let the church help."

[quote]Originally posted by KCarter335:
    <strong>Okay, I'm an avid gamer.... Is there a brand and model card that clearly stands above the rest? I'm open to any suggestions since I haven't looked for a soundcard in over 8 years... </strong><hr></blockquote>

NO. & there are better than SB (Yammaha??).

Avid gamer who hasn't changed his s/c for 8 years??? You are in for a surprise!

$400 usd? You have a lot of choices for speaker s/c combinations there.

I used to work for Wharfedale and all I'll say about PC speaker systems is they are all cra..., sorry - for PC's, if you want some decent speakers get some for a hi-fi.

You have enough cash here to buy a digital s/c feed it to a graphic eq., with surround sound, via midi port and deliver through some 'real' speakers.

Or you could follow everyone else's advice and buy plastic pretty stuff that looks nice, isn't it what it sounds like that's important?