4TB drive upgrade

Thread: 4TB drive upgrade

4TB drive upgrade

Hi,

I have a client with several 1/2TB drives in his home computer and primary 128GB SSD drive.He uses windows 7 32 bit.
    He wants for some reason to have more storing space on his desktop but don't want to create a desktop shortcut to one of his more available drive.
    I consider buying him a 4TB SSHD or a normal drive with sandisk readycache to be installed on his system instead of the primary 128GB SSD.
    Now options are :
    1. Install 4TB drive, Copy data from 1tb drive to the 4tb drive, Copy data from primary SSD to 1tb drive and make 1tb primary drive, Install readycache drive
    2. Split 4tb drive into 2x2tb partitions (So computer can be booted from the first one),Copy data from primary SSD to first partition of 4tb drive, Install readycache drive

his computer is about 2 years old and I'm afraid of some 4TB incompatibility with bios. What would you suggest ?

Thank you

Ok.....I thought about it and decided it'll be better to install him 2x2TB drives, this way i can easily boot windows 7 and will just take out his old drives out of the computer (500gb and 1tb drives).
    It'll also be cheaper to buy 2x2tb drives and probably more reliable....

All other things equal, two drives will never be more reliable than one unless you put them in RAID1. Two drives means twice the chance of failure in addition to higher load on the power supply.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

Thanks CB,

I meant that the chance of both of them dying at the same time is smaller than the chance of 1 drive dying.I just like to put all my data "eggs" on one hard drive "basket"

I'm not sure I understand your take on this. Either drive failing leads to system unavailability.
    Protected by Glock. Don't mess with me!

If I add a 4TB drive and split it to 2 partitions which one is a system partition and the drive dies, I lose operating system AND data. If I install 2X2TB drives which one is boot drive and another data drive and one drive fails, I lose SYSTEM drive OR DATA, So it feels like less loss in case a drive dies.
    I also always backup system drive, So that's why i prefer it that way

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Do you offer your business clients any kind of backup options??? It's a good upsell, and is so very important.
    Last edited by MobilePCPhysician; December 13th, 2013 at 11:16 PM.
    Sergeant WOTPP

Hi MPP,

Only few of my clients use offsite backups.
    Must clients with important data have a local daily backup and some that were willing to invest a bit more have their drive with software RAID1 setup.
    When I offered offsite backup to my clients few years ago, Must of them weren't interested, So I gave up on it. Also internet upload speed in israel is quite slow (Must offices uses 1mBIT upload speed)