Nvidia GEForce FX5200 with XP dual monitor problem

Thread: Nvidia GEForce FX5200 with XP dual monitor problem

Nvidia GEForce FX5200 with XP dual monitor problem

Card: Nvidia GEForce FX5200
    Drivers latest

The card control panel and OS display control panel detect both screens and allow the set up of all types of views. But the screens are always clones of each other (clone view is NOT set).

The reason for this is that both screens are always identified as the same on a self identification request from the GEForce Display wizard panel.

For example two monitors are connected . One showing in configuration as

L90 + DSUB and one showing as Analogy Display

When selecting identification both screens are labelled as L90+DSUB therefore obviously it can never output different display to each screen.

Actually a print screen dump to photoshop shows that the OS thinks it is outputing to two displays. You can see this on the resultant bitmap.

has anybody else had this problem? OS Software? Hardware? Drivers? or other?

I found this:

'to install, it was somewhat of a hassle. the drivers included on a cd didnt work, and i had to go to pny's site to download them. but they send you over to nvidia to get the drivers, and since nvidia is the chipset and not the card, they provide drivers only with no support whatsoever. so, i got the drivers in, got direct x 9 installed, and no dice. you have to (again, this is windows XP home) go to the display, enable the dual monitor support, select the GeForce FX 5200 as your display for the second monitor, then choose that as the default, then dont expand display over 2 montiors. then you shut down, then plug the monitor from your onboard video to the new GeForce FX 5200. this is more of a windows XP/dell onboard video problem, which is what i still gave the card 5 stars, but you should still be aware of it.'

Article here re stability: http://www.thinsoftinc.com/search_te...le_id=58&XP=on

Another article: http://www.pcbuyerbeware.co.uk/Video...tm#twomonitors

gl

many thanks for responding.

Just a quick clarification before i get into it:

You had both monitors connected to the same GeForce FX5200 correct? One into the D-SUB and one into the DVI socket[ i hope this is indeed dual head - it detects both monitors].

I should choose second monitor as default monitor on a dual view and we should have some joy on a reboot?

LOL -I own a lowly PX6600; I found that info for you - use at your own risk. But, it does sound logical.

I am using this same adapter with the identical config you have and have no problems setting it for dualview. What drivers are you using? Are you trying to configure using the native windows settings or the advanced/geforce fx-5200 utility?
    Computer Rescue Service

"those who do not remember history are condemned to repeat it."

Drivers downloaded were 81.98.

Set by both the native window settings and the fx-5200 utility itself.

In the Display Wizard which is a button on one of the panels in the fx-5200 utility you can step through the set up process. (Desktop Management explorer selection on the utility explorer - 3 section down - if the fx-5200 desktop is enabled)

if you go the custom setup route then at one point you are asked which screen you would like to be primary and there is a radiuo button selection with the two screens on. there is also the "Identify Screens" button.

each screen is identified the same for output on my system. I imagine yours will correctly identify the screens as different if it is working.....

same driver I am using..on the advanced/GeForce FX 5200 tab, right under the logo do you have a dropdown list listing dual-view, single display, clone, etc.?? have you tried setting it to dual-view and seeing if your two displays work even if they are identified incorrectly?
    Computer Rescue Service

Got same issue

Anyone get the Geforce 5200 to correctly display Dual view when using 2 monitores (connected on D-Sub & DVI on same card)?

Yep..using it every day with a 15 inch flat panel on the dvi and a 19 inch on the d-sub..with different resolutions and refresh rates..no prob at all.
    Computer Rescue Service

Layman's Terms, Please

Quote Originally Posted by geoscomp View Post
    Yep..using it every day with a 15 inch flat panel on the dvi and a 19 inch on the d-sub..with different resolutions and refresh rates..no prob at all.
    OK.. I am running a Dell GX620 Slimline desktop. I am running Win7 OS.

I have an NVidia gForce 4 FX 5200 video card from a different computer I used to run.

#1: Can this vid card be installed in the above-mentioned computer?
    #2: If so, once installed, in layman's terms, how do I get it to display differently on dual monitors, if at all?

Thank you.

Welcome to Windrivers LanceTrottier. I noticed you had the same question posted on Tom's Hardware and recieved and answer there. http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/...-slimline.html Did you try their suggestion?
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!