[RESOLVED] microphone problem

Thread: [RESOLVED] microphone problem

Bsquared

Post microphone problem

An ESS1868 sound card which seems to work fine playing sounds, but when a microphone is hooked up. The mike is "hot" at all times. The "sound recorder" doesn't receive anything.

You probably need to open your sound properties by double clicking the speaker in the system tray, go to options, properties, recording, and turn on the mic under recording control.

------------------
    Ya never know, ya know?
    "Badges? We don't need no stinking badges."

J_Man

When you say getting hot, do you mean that the mic it's self is getting warmer the longer you leave it plugged in. If so, you may have a short in youe mic or sound card.

------------------
    <<< Sh!t happens >>>

Bsquared

"hot" as in on at all times creating feedback in the speakers.

Hi,

If you're still having problems with not reaching the "sound recorder" but getting sound out the speakers, you might try going to Control Panel/Multimedia...check your Preferred Recording Device...make sure you have the proper device selected. If you don't have any devices listed, then the drivers were not properly loaded for that device. Also, there should be a little square box just to the left of that drop-down menu...click on it...make sure that your microphone is selected there and turned up.

One more thing, you might check the site below for the latest drivers for this monster:

http://www.windrivers.com/company/ess/index.htm

Hope this helps you out...Good Luck!
    DonJ

------------------
    Hey, it's all FM to me!

[This message has been edited by DonJ (edited February 15, 2001).]
    I'm good enough.
    I'm smart enough.
    And doggone it,
    People like me!

PLaSMaNS

Solution :

Dbl-click on the speaker next to the clock
    File menu, select properties, swith to "Recording" and select the mic

Go back to file/properties, and switch back to "Playing" now mute the column titled microphone

That way, your mic signal will be recorded but you won't hear yourself in your speakers (why would any1 wanna hear themselves :^)), so you'll be able to use net communication, record in recorder, all and all without feedback

The trick above is best suited for SB card, the other ones sometimes have the PLAYING/RECORDING slider stuck together, wich is kinda odd... but that should work

Have a nice day !

------------------
    Who am I ? I was the next door kid's imaginary friend.