XP not booting

Thread: XP not booting

XP not booting

System: xp sp3 with the latest updates on dell inspiron 530s, ie8 provided by google

I had a problem that could not be fixed. I inserted macrium-reflect boot disk to install the disk image and pressed the button to turn the computer off. It did not. Instead the processor fan ran nonstop and it did not boot. The monitor eventually was turned off while the fan was still running. I forced the computer down by unplugging the power. What could have happened and how to fix it. Until about an hour ago it was working very smoothly.

After about 20 minutes unplugged to the power, I plugged it back and pressed the start button. the same thing with the fan but a new thing appears. While the fan is running the computer beeps four times, paused a few seconds and it beeps again, after the third time I unplugged it from power.
    Last edited by Votan; July 24th, 2015 at 02:29 PM.

Hello Votan. Generally the four beeps means a RAM problem. The normal troubleshooting procedure is to remove one module at a time and try after each removal and or replacement.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zonie View Post
    Hello Votan. Generally the four beeps means a RAM problem. The normal troubleshooting procedure is to remove one module at a time and try after each removal and or replacement.
    I followed the procedure and indeed it was one module. Now the issue is with the monitor. It showed shadow to the right of everything on the screen, text, icons, windows, literally everything. The monitor is hp w2072a. Hp sent me another monitor of the same. It worked fine for two days then the shadow issue rec cured. I connected the monitor to my laptop. It was worse, the laptop screen was perfect, the monitor was awful. Attached is a snapshot of the issue. Any idea what could caused this?
    Shades.jpg

It would be apparent that if the monitor is exhibiting the issue on 2 different devices, I would come to the conclusion there is an issue with the monitor. I would get a refund and purchase a monitor of a different brand. If you feel it is the device and not the monitor, try a different monitor and see if the results are the same.
    It's not the computers that keep having problems, it's the users!!