How to Upgrade Win7 from Downgrade - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: How to Upgrade Win7 from Downgrade

x86 = 32-bit
    x64 = 64-bit

But, that's just the capability of the OS (Operating System) that's installed. Your system itself may be able to run a 64-bit OS. Find your motherboard's make and model number and see if it supports 64-bit (Google) then check to see if the CPU (Central Processing Unit) can also handle 64-bit. If so you should be good to go with a 64-bit OS. It might not be worth it if the motherboard maxes out at 4GB of RAM. Check at Crucial.com. If it will hold more, I'd consider making the jump to 64-bit. If the CPU was something less than say a 2GHz Core 2 Quad, I probably wouldn't spend the additional money on it. Just use it as is until you get bored with, or it gives up the ghost.

Note though that I personally would not use XP to access the internet. Too many holes in it that are no longer being patched to keep the bad guys out.
    --
    Doc
    ___________Microsoft Safety & Security Center___________
    \____________________ ____.-.____ ____________________/
    \_____________\ -._)!(_.- /_____________/
    \_______\. ~\ /~ ./_______/
    \_______/

"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction" -Blaise Pascal

Perhaps I missed the part where any recovery partitions were mentioned BUT Dell would have had one for Win7 if it was shipped with that capability.

Quote Originally Posted by SpywareDr View Post
    x86 = 32-bit
    x64 = 64-bit

But, that's just the capability of the OS (Operating System) that's installed. Your system itself may be able to run a 64-bit OS. Find your motherboard's make and model number and see if it supports 64-bit (Google) then check to see if the CPU (Central Processing Unit) can also handle 64-bit. If so you should be good to go with a 64-bit OS. It might not be worth it if the motherboard maxes out at 4GB of RAM. Check at Crucial.com. If it will hold more, I'd consider making the jump to 64-bit. If the CPU was something less than say a 2GHz Core 2 Quad, I probably wouldn't spend the additional money on it. Just use it as is until you get bored with, or it gives up the ghost.

Note though that I personally would not use XP to access the internet. Too many holes in it that are no longer being patched to keep the bad guys out.
    Thank you for sharing the information is useful

From XP to Vista, then upgraded Vista to 7.