[RESOLVED] Help with SB Live Value & Win2k
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [RESOLVED] Help with SB Live Value & Win2k

Keefu

Resolved [RESOLVED] Help with SB Live Value & Win2k

I have a sb live value and it works fine under win98, but after i install win2k, it doesn't not work anymore (ie. no sound). I tried to install the newest driver (from Creative Lab's Site), it said "setup could not detect any sb card on the system"...the strange thing is that when i tried to install the driver manually (from the default list of driver in win2k), it said that the device (ie, the sblive card) is working properly....does anyone else have this problem?

StevePorter

Lightbulb

That's one of the problems with "upgrading" to W2K. The best way to install W2K is to do a "clean" install: Wipe the partition, tell BIOS to boot from the CD, then proceed with W2K installation. It'll ask for you to swap in a CD for a previous version of Windows as a check, then you'll swap back out with the W2K CD and complete the W2K installation.

But, before you do a W2K "clean" installation, make sure you've downloaded and flashed your motherboards BIOS to the latest version, and download the latest version of any motherboard drivers so you can install them too. Also, set your motherboard to use APCI. That helps a lot with interrupt problems...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

Darren Wilson

Very strange as I also have an original SB Live! Value and after installing Win2K it is ready and playing sounds with the default Win2K WDM drivers that are supplied with Windows. Not seen this one before , but I would be inclined to try a different PCI slot and to set IRQ5 as Legacy/ISA in the BIOS as well.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net
    The Webs Number One Resource for Today's Carp Angler.

FLAMERS

Realshady187

The no sound card detected message came up because you started back up in safe mode.

The machine can be started normally by deleting the EMU10K1F.sys file in the WINNT\system32\drivers folder. Do this in Safe Mode and then reboot.
    I am still trying to find a copy of the file that doesnt cause problems w\win2k.

Cool

Check the microsoft site for win2K compatability Sound Blaser Live Value is not on the LIST. Buy a new card.

------------------
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA Lifes a Beach
    Computer Shop Owner A+ COMPTIA
    Tampa Bay Communications Inc
    http://www.smokinparts.com/smokinpartslogo

Un-install the software/drivers. shutdown, pull the card. start computer, once started, shutdown, then install the card, then re-start the computer, it should detect the card and you should be able to install the drivers from here.

-wayne

------------------
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

[This message has been edited by wbatten (edited March 01, 2001).]
    I use The best program that cures Windows problems, Far more reliable than Norton Utilities, It's called FORMAT C:...® [I hate AT&T@home cable service]

Realshady187

You're all wrong.
    Guess what MS HCL lists SBLIVE as compatible.
    Here though:
    I installed SBLIVE on a BIOSTAR mother board
    w/ AMD ATHLON 600MHZ a week ago. The driver
    EMU10K1F.sys couldnt be loaded and caused the win2k blue screen of death.
    Today I thru a Giga-Byte GA71xe motherboard and a 750 AMD T-Bird in, reinstalled the drivers for 30millionth time xpecting the same and it loaded EMU10K1F driver, no problem. Dont ask me, thats just the rest of the story. good luck KEEF
    - The REAL Tech - ;=====`

Darren Wilson

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by NTTECH1:
    Check the microsoft site for win2K compatability Sound Blaser Live Value is not on the LIST. Buy a new card.

</font>
    Strange that Win2k picks mine up straight away and installs IT'S own drivers for it without having to do a thing. And yes mine is an ORIGINAL SB LIVE! VALUE from about 3 years ago.

Real Shady

How can you say we are all wrong when you have had the problem yourself?

The problem lies in the IRQ table for the PCI slots. The most common solution is to map IRQ5 in the BIOS to Legacy/ISA and to use PCI Slot 2 or 3. This solves the problems on Abit, Asus, MSI, and more boards. If the board has an IDE RAID controller onboard then this is the ONLY way to get around the problem as the RAID controller tries to use the same resources as the card's Legacy Support, regardless of positioning. Also if you are using CPU's faster than 600Mhz (definatly for the PIII's at least) then you need to use the Live Ware 3 drivers as Live Ware 2 will cause all sorts of problems.

I don't know how you can go about telling everyone that they are wrong.

Not a good way of becoming popular. Offering suggestions is one thing but blatently telling everyone that they are wrong is not a good idea, my friend. Disagreeing is permitted if you have the proof to back it up.

Sorry to have a rant but this is the solution that works for ME.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net

FLAMERS

RoysG

Hello Amigos. I had the same trouble once.
    I made a clean Install of Win2k with the SBlive Value. When finished, everything worked fine. Then I tried to install de Liveware 2.0 and 3.0 and have the same trouble that the one above. I uninstall all the software and drivers and replaced the Value Card for a MP3+ Card, then Reinstall the Liveware 3.0 and worked Ok.
    I couldnt make the Value card work Ok with the Liveware 2.0 and 3.0. So my advice is.. change the card.

Darren Wilson

Liveware 2 doesn't work under 2000 properly.

Let Win2k itself install it's own drivers for the Value, then download Liveware 3 for Win2k from the Creative site and run it.

Has worked EVERY SINGLE time for me.

------------------
    Darren Wilson
    Webmaster
    The Carpers Lodge.net

FLAMERS

StevePorter

Cool

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Darren Wilson:
    Liveware 2 doesn't work under 2000 properly.

Let Win2k itself install it's own drivers for the Value, then download Liveware 3 for Win2k from the Creative site and run it.

Has worked EVERY SINGLE time for me.

</font>
    I've been running my SB Live! Value with LiveWare! 3.0 ever since it came out without any problem at all. I guess I held my mouth just right when I installed everything...

------------------
    Sometimes computer problems require extreme measures. Our hero, the Intrepid Spaceman Spiff, sets his blaster on "deep fat fry..."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by StevePorter:
    I've been running my SB Live! Value with LiveWare! 3.0 ever since it came out without any problem at all. I guess I held my mouth just right when I installed everything...

</font>
    I haven't had any problems ether with LW3.0

-wayne

------------------

Realshady187

Flamer YOur A ****in FaGGOT
    The reason its worked every time for you is cause your a broke bastard using the same machine that uve had for years. GOTTA guess cause u dont know. Its a compatability issue with the motherboard chipset and the sb EMULATION programmable Chipset on LIVE so quit being a ****in FLAMER/flaming faggot,and taking wild guesses on **** u dont know. and i give a **** if people like u dont like me. (o)exit only over here.

Realshady187

Dont worry i pulled out before i shot it down your daughters throat

Realshady187

[This message has been edited by WinDrivers (edited March 05, 2001).]