Internet Explorer 9 in Windows XP

Thread: Internet Explorer 9 in Windows XP

Internet Explorer 9 in Windows XP

I know this sounds far-fetched and you guys are probably gonna think "Why?", but hear me out on this, please. I think I have come up with a way to get Internet Explorer 9 working on Windows XP. What I would need to do is get a copy of vista with IE9 installed on it, find everything pertaining to IE9 (so any dlls, etc), copy it to a USB and then to Windows XP where I would then open all the files in resource hacker and add in Windows XP Service Pack 3 to the file compatibility section (this is a line in the files that tells setup what versions of windows IE9 supports, which is so far Vista and 7), plus change whatever may need to be changed in the registry. After I successfully install this, I would then pack all these files into a setup exe and upload it for you guys to use. However, there is one slight problem. I have no clue where all the IE9 files would reside. I know there is a folder in Program Files called Internet Explorer, but I don't think that is everything. I would also need to know the location of IE8's files in Windows XP, and need to know if the registry has anything related to Internet Explorer in it as well. Once these things are found, I can then start rock and rolling.

Edit: I found out Direct2D needs to be backported from Windows Vista SP2. I have no idea where the Direct2D files are stored in Windows Vista however. I am in the process of installing Windows Vista in a dual boot with Windows XP right now. Hopefully a Realtek internet driver from 2014 will get wireless internet working so I can install the things that require internet (such as the IE9 installer). I will continue researching Internet Explorer 9 to find out if there is anything else besides Direct2D that I would need to backport to XP. If I find anything else, I will post it here so it can be searched for and found so I know the location of the files. If I didn't point this out before or it wasn't clear enough, you must have Windows Vista with Internet Explorer 9 installed. It can be on a physical, not used computer or in a virtual machine if that's your only option. Windows XP is also recommended. If you do it on an old, physical computer, install Windows XP first and make sure it has some form of working internet (ethernet, wireless, etc), and download this partition manager. If you have a 500gb hard drive, resize the drive and set aside at least 100gb. If you have less hdd space, 25gb should be enough for Vista. It will force you to restart so do it. Once done, restart once again and open the bios before XP loads. Pop in your Vista CD and make sure your computer is set to boot from CD. Once the Installation starts, select the 25gb set aside for the dual boot and make it a partition. Install Vista like normal.
    Last edited by Moline; August 22nd, 2018 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Added in some info.

Good luck to you....

I was a HUGE Win XP fan and still say good things about it.... I was a Long Time user of Internet Explorer till I broke down and played around with FireFox and Chrome...both of which are so superior to IE... I liked Win 7 better than I did XP....

So I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around doing what you're going to attempt.

BUT, in an effort to help, seems like a remember there are programs that can take a snapshot of all the files on your pc... Then when you install something - you run the app again and it will show you all the new files and where they are located... I think you can do the same thing with the registry.

Just keep in mind that one little file that is missing and or out of place can keep this whole thing from working and you could spends MONTHS trying to figure it out.

ALSO, if I'm not mistaken, you can still find IE9 downloads and can skip the whole Vista part.
    U+00BD
    <p>&#x02BC;</p>

code 39: '
    U+02BC: ?
    U+02BC: '

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Good luck to you....

I was a HUGE Win XP fan and still say good things about it.... I was a Long Time user of Internet Explorer till I broke down and played around with FireFox and Chrome...both of which are so superior to IE... I liked Win 7 better than I did XP....

So I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around doing what you're going to attempt.

BUT, in an effort to help, seems like a remember there are programs that can take a snapshot of all the files on your pc... Then when you install something - you run the app again and it will show you all the new files and where they are located... I think you can do the same thing with the registry.

Just keep in mind that one little file that is missing and or out of place can keep this whole thing from working and you could spends MONTHS trying to figure it out.

ALSO, if I'm not mistaken, you can still find IE9 downloads and can skip the whole Vista part.
    Yeah, I found them from Microsoft. Basically, I am reverse engineering Internet Explorer 9 so it can be installed on Windows XP in addition to Vista and 7. I will also be reverse engineering Direct2D to get that to hopefully work with XP as that is needed as well. The reason I need Vista is so I can install it there and get the files it creates and copy them to the WinXP drive (on the same HDD as vista) so I can then open them in resource hacker to see what is different. A majority of the files I found are the same ones included with XP's IE8 copy. I did try to copy over the IE9 exe file to replace the IE8 exe, but XP just reverted it to the IE8 exe, which means I need to disable file protection. Anyone know how to do that? I am given enough time to click on the IE9 exe before it reverts and it says "This is not a valid win32 application", which would indicate os compatibility issues as I have the 32 bit version as my winXP version is 32 bit. Also, what is the name of the program that shows me where all the installed files are at? That would be useful to pop it on my win xp and vista copies. If this is successful, then I will probably try to get IE7 working on Windows 2000.
    Last edited by Moline; August 24th, 2018 at 02:57 PM.

Can't never did anything except whine about what he couldn't do.
    Do, or do not. There is no try.

http://www.northernaurora.com/page/index.html
    http://www.northernaurora.com/page/chat.html Free Chat

Registered User MobilePCPhysician's Avatar
    Isn't what he's trying to do, against the rules of this forum? Just asking....
    Sergeant WOTPP

That's a legit question.... We're making a judgement call here... "IF" he were to be successful with this endeavor AND it would be worth a lot of money because a lot of people would want to do it too.... then we'd have issues...

I think going door to door and collecting food to feed the homeless would be easier and more productive