[RESOLVED] Legacy ISA support for SoundBlaster PCI cards.

Thread: [RESOLVED] Legacy ISA support for SoundBlaster PCI cards.

Shep

Exclamation Legacy ISA support for SoundBlaster PCI cards.

My model = CT4750 (SoundBlaster PCI 128)

The problem = Nobody seems to have a clue *how* to set this card (or the various other SoundBlaster cards) up properly for sound in DOS games in Win98 and in ME. We all know there is this worthless tab on the sound card properties sheet called Dos Application Settings but the funny (not a damn bit funny) thing is, it doesn't work. Creative's site is of little help, my mainboard manufacturer's site offered a couple of clues, other forums I've searched have been of little help as well. I have seen the question asked many times, but the responses have been pathetic. The documentation accompanying the sound card offers clues, but no concrete directions.
    I have learned so far that manual changes to the PCI bus settings need to be made; namely to provide Legacy ISA support per a given IRQ. I need clarification there, if anyone can help out with quality instructions. Also,
    I realize that if I were running 95 or 98 I might have a better chance, as I could set a Blaster statement and run SBINIT.COM and possible get somewhere. However, I am running ME which has no MSDOS mode, and I am confused about the relationship between this fact and the use of dosstart.bat. Can someone who has actually managed to do this reply here? The ENTIRE PC GAMING WORLD awaits your lifegiving song... hehe

I've only seen a SB PCI 64 working properly under DOS. I wouldn't say there's a way to make it work. Sorry..
    The wandering Odysseus of the web.

To set it up you need to reserve irq 5 in bios. Change "resouces controlled by" setting to manual in PnP/PCI config menu. Change "irq 5 assigned to" setting to legacy isa and it should work just fine.

Happy gaming
    To prove something, one must first try to disprove it.

I think you will have a hard time getting Dos support reguardless of which windows you are using. I tried that cardas well as the Live! and several others, none never worked under pure DOS, I got some sound running some Dos games under Windows 98 when DMA =1 and 5 and IRQ =5. If you really want full sound in DOS games, and have and ISA slot. Try to find a SoundBlaster Awe 64.
    I've been able to play all my Dos games with sound under Windows ME and 2000 using this card and it is a Great Windows Sound Card as well.
    Just make sure DMA is set to 1 and 5 and IRQ is set to 5 in Windows, and it will run any game under Windows.

Shep

Thanks, guys. I have heard from the build techs at my company also that the Awe64 was the only Creative product that would do it. I personally haven't built machines for the past couple years or so, moved into database work. I 'might' try jackin with it some more (ie setting IRQ5 to Legacy/ISA in PCI/PNP config) later, but for now I threw the ol' SB16 back in (it's ISA), and bought a PCI modem. I only have one ISA slot so had to make a choice there. DFI tech support, and I use the words tech and support hesitantly here, said that a known problem with the TA64B Mainboard would not allow it to work anyway. Go figure...
    Anyway, thanks again for your responses.
    Shep