[RESOLVED] No sound / no card detected

Thread: [RESOLVED] No sound / no card detected

Davester

No sound / no card detected

I just reformatted one of my computers and installed Windows 98. Everything went without a hitch, except W98 did not detect my sound card (w/ gameport). The card has a sticker indicating it's an Addonics, with 2 additional stickers with the following numbers: "2630301", "SG1 11347 1516" and "6 B83112558". Under Device Mnager, the line is not listed at all. Under Settings, Control Panel, Multimedia in the Audio tab, both "Playback" and "Recording" sections are "Sound, video and game controllers" grayed out. I've used thw W98 sound troubleshooter to no avail. Looking under Addonics drivers, I see nothing that I could identify as a corresponding model number on the stickers on the card (note: original computer documentation is missing, so model number is not available that way; I have contacted Addonics tech support to see if they can identify the model and correct driver). So, question becomes, if I can locate and install the correct driver, will the "Sound, video and game controllers" line reappear in the Device Manager? Or is there some other step(s) besides loading the driver that I'll have to take to "force" W98 to recognize and make my sound card operational? Any ideas on what steps to take from here? Thanks!

Davester
    NOTE: THIS IS A CORRECTION TO MY ORIGINAL POST (I really have got to proof-read my stuff before sending it - hopefully this correction will read a little better):
    I just reformatted one of my computers and installed Windows 98. Everything went without a hitch, except W98 did not detect my sound card (w/ gameport). The card has a sticker indicating it's an Addonics, with 2 additional stickers with the following numbers: "2630301", "SG1 11347 1516" and "6 B83112558". Under Device Manager, the line "Sound, video and game controllers" is not listed at all. Under Settings, Control Panel, Multimedia in the Audio tab, both "Playback" and "Recording" sections are grayed out. I've used thw W98 sound troubleshooter to no avail. Looking under Addonics drivers, I see nothing that I could identify as a corresponding model number on the stickers on the card (note: original computer documentation is missing, so model number is not available that way; I have contacted Addonics tech support to see if they can identify the model and correct driver). So, question becomes, if I can locate and install the correct driver, will the "Sound, video and game controllers" line reappear in the Device Manager? Or is there some other step(s) besides loading the driver that I'll have to take to "force" W98 to recognize and make my sound card operational? Any ideas on what steps to take from here? Thanks!

kmondrush
    Davester, Your sound card most likly is conflicting with some other device. Did you put all the card in at once or one by one. Is the card isa or pci. I have a addonics card also. My suggestion is remove all cards and do them one by one.
    1-video card
    2-sound card
    3-network card
    4-modem
    3-any others
    Also look on the bios screen at boot up(memory check, hard drive display, card settings) the last screen should show you what IRQs the BIOS assign to the cards. PCI are first then the ISA. You have to look quick because it goes by fast. You may see a two card with the same IRQs.