SB Live Value on Abit KT7A Raid

Thread: SB Live Value on Abit KT7A Raid

Post SB Live Value on Abit KT7A Raid

HELP!(please)
    This is my father in laws system. Abit KT7A Raid, 850 T Bird, Voodoo 4500, Kingston KNE110TX NIC, 256MB PC133, WD30 7200 RPM drive. I told him to go Intel, but he would not listen. The system locks up frequently. But the timing is different each time. Sometimes immediately after windows loads, or 10 minutes later. Tried the SB live in all the PCI slots, tried WIN ME, and WIN98. Installed all VIA pateches and drivers, upated windows. System works fine with no sound card or with the live disabled in Device Manager. But behaves the same with the Live or a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. But it works fine with a SB PCI128. The Live also works fine in my machine. What am I missing.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Darren Wilson

Same board, same sound card here.

Uninstall Liveware & drivers
    Reboot
    Assign IRQ 5 in the BIOS to Legacy/ISA.
    Restart
    Install LiveWare 3

Thanks Darren, But that did not work. I ended up doing the same thing with irq 9, which is where it wanted to go next, and it worked fine. Couldn't see wasting the resources thougjh, so I gave him a PCI 128, and took the live. Thanks for the ideas.
    Jim
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Actually, that SBLive may be the source of the problem. There's something screwey with the SB Live cards, certain VIA south bridges and PCI 2.1.

Read over at http://www.viahardware.com/ and search for "686B" for more info.
    "Show me a perfectly smooth operation and I'll show you someone who's lying. Real boats rock." --Frank Herbert

Had a few problems myself with the Abit KT7A-R and SB Live 5.1. I discovered that the SB 16 emulator was the cause. The SB16 emulator is responsible for a lot of simular probs like yours and is only included in the install inorder to play older dos games. You can do a custom install and leave the SB16 out but I would recommend you "format c:" first to make sure everything is out and make sure your soundcard drivers are one of the first set of drivers you install after you re-install Windows. Damded SB16.
    I have a proper toolkit now complete with a little torch!!!

Wink

I had same problem with that hardware. I just set hole 15-16 in memory in bios and uninstalled the legacy drivers(dos) and it sounds good....

I've started a thread to post all your successes and failures with this problem in hopes of finding a less hit and miss solution for everyone.

Come help out:Here
    There are no stupid questions! Just stupid (l)users!